New owner of a 1979 9R

A little about yourself
Bairdeclectic

New owner of a 1979 9R

Post by Bairdeclectic »

Good morning! I recently purchased a 1979 9R I believe. Its 30 ft with center bath, front dinette, and rear double bed. After getting it home we got lots of rain which showed me plenty of leaks. All electrical works. Got a new AC to install and have started working on sealing leaks and cleaning, seam sealing starting at the roof and working my way down. This site has already been super helpful and I look forward to more discussions.
Thanks for the resource,
Jack
Bairdeclectic.com
1979 Avion 9R aka 30R
Front dinette, centerbath, rear double bed.
Work in progress
silverloaf

Re: New owner of a 1979 9R

Post by silverloaf »

Bairdeclectic wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:41 am Good morning! I recently purchased a 1979 9R I believe. Its 30 ft with center bath, front dinette, and rear double bed. After getting it home we got lots of rain which showed me plenty of leaks. All electrical works. Got a new AC to install and have started working on sealing leaks and cleaning, seam sealing starting at the roof and working my way down. This site has already been super helpful and I look forward to more discussions.
Thanks for the resource,
Jack
Jack-

I've never heard of a 1979 9R until I went to the website below. It appears to correlate to the 30-R. The 1979 brochure appears to be the only year that had dual model numbers. Makes one wonder whether Avion was appealing to a different client base by playing a numbers game. Strange.

http://my.execpc.com/~drg/avionrem.html
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Congratulations, Jack! Keep us posted as you work your way through those projects.

I am glad that this site has helped! Besides the fun discussions, I like the way we can document things for posterity so others don’t have to reinvent the wheel when they become the proud owners of an Avion!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Bairdeclectic

Post by Bairdeclectic »

I believe it was due to an attempt to switch to metric in the late 70s but I was actually born the same year my Avion was produced so I don't know if that's actually why. The thermometer is in Celsius and the marking on the side say 9.1 meters. I thought it was quirky and I love the floorplan. I'll get pictures up soon. I've been documenting all my work. I have no plans of getting rid of this camper. :D
Bairdeclectic.com
1979 Avion 9R aka 30R
Work in progress
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

I believe you are right. We have 9.1 on the side of our 1988 30P. 9.1m corresponds to 29.9ft.

Congress enacted the Metric Conversion Act in 1975 to start the conversion process. But there was a lot of pushback from the manufacturing sector so the measure was strictly voluntary.

I suspect the metric designation was a token gesture on the part of Avion to usher in the metric age. Certainly our Canadian friends across the border would welcome the decal with metric equivalence. However, every fastener I've come across on our trailer is English.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Salty

Post by Salty »

Made for the Canadian market maybe?
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Bairdeclectic

Post by Bairdeclectic »

Nope sold in Augusta,Ks and purchased in Derby,Ks 40 years later.
Bairdeclectic.com
1979 Avion 9R aka 30R
Work in progress