Jack points on 1986 34w w/adjust-a-ride suspension

Axles and Suspension Systems, Brakes, Brake Controllers, Wheels, Tires
Jtholland757@att.net

Jack points on 1986 34w w/adjust-a-ride suspension

Post by Jtholland757@att.net »

I may have to replace all 6 tires and spare on my 1986 34w. In doing so I would like to pull 1 side at a time. Is it feasible get all three off the ground at the same time, and if so, where is the jacking point on this particular split axle independent suspension set up. The owners manual is kind of vague, and I don’t want to damage anything in the process. Thanks for any help you can give me. JT
1986 Avion 34w Silver Edition; Unit 123 of 200
2022 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 2500HD Z71 4WD
Razorback

Re: Jack points on 1986 34w w/adjust-a-ride suspension

Post by Razorback »

Lift by the frame, not by the axles.

Go here and see the pictures I took when I was replacing the brakes and shocks on our 1987 34W. Some of the first pics show the areas just in front of and just behind the tires. I lifted ours using a 20-ton bottle jack we had handy, but it doesn’t need one with that much capacity. You will be able to tell where the frame member is rearward of the wheels by where the lower edge wrap and the belly pan meet. You will see a screw line where the frame is.
Do NOT use just the ram of the jack.... I had a metal bar that was maybe 1/8”-3/16” thick, an inch and a half wide, and maybe a foot long. I placed that on the ram, then a 2x4 piece of wood between the metal bar and the frame member. I lifted with the jack, then placed 4x4 cribbing in place as the trailer went up. Keep adding cribbing until the trailer is as high as you need. DO NOT USE CONCRETE BLOCKS OR BRICKS!!!!!
When you are finished lifting and supporting, the trailer will be held by the cribbing, NOT the jack. SAFETY IS KEY!!!!

(Loosen the lug nuts before you lift the tires off of the ground.)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???