Trip Planning Software/App?

Anything related to traveling with an Avion
MNash56

Trip Planning Software/App?

Post by MNash56 »

Since planning is half the fun, give me your best suggestion for trip planning software or app.

I've been using the free version of Roadtrippers and now of course I've hit the limit of what it will do for free.

Any other favorites I should consider before I open my wallet and buy a subscription?

Thanks

mark
Mark Nash
1970 19' Suntrail Sport Special
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Trip Planning Software/App?

Post by KYAvion »

How about the Garmin for RV’s? Anyone use it?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
RISK

Post by RISK »

I’ve been using the Park Advisor app on my iPhone, the free version is pretty good and the Pro version is $7.99 which I’ll probably buy based on how useful the free one is...
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

So that app looks like it is geared more toward finding campgrounds? I was thinking more along the lines of something for directions other than Google or Mapquest. I’ve been taken on some routes that were fine for a car/SUV, but not the best for the Avion.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
RISK

Post by RISK »

Park Advisor has a route option, also you can tune it to look for certain places and also omit places. For instance, I like the store brand of Jerky from Love's Travel Stops (it's actually Robertson's from Oklahoma... yum) so I have it set so I'll know if there is a Love's along the route.

Try the free one and see what you think...

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
slowmover

Post by slowmover »

I’ve been at this since the 1960s. Apps aren't really your friend. Their agenda is money extraction, not stimulation of thinking & imagination. If it needs electricity, consider it as the last piece. Unreliable. Not the start.

First caveat: your commuter miles are not relevant experience. No credit granted. A long distance trip is you and family in the Conestoga. You are on your own.

Thus:

1). First tool is a road atlas. I strongly recommend the Rand McNally Commercial Carriers Atlas. More information AND much that as a result of being able to “see” carrier routes can cause you to choose against them OR choose for them with different reasons altogether.

2). A dashtop compass. RITCHIE. 12V-illumination.

3). A map light. HELLA makes some nice ones. Plug-in and wire-in types.

Please DON’T assume that GPS satellites or the Internet (even cell phone ) service will be available. Ever.

4). Maps are one of mankind’s great conceptual creations. And there are many types. Political. Zoological. Botanical. Etc.

5). Thus, a map case. There are two types. One is for hikers or military to keep a topo map at hand under a clear cover. The other is more like a narrow briefcase. Not so large, but what one could use as writing surface. And stiff enough to stand up.

A case because one of the wiser things you’ll ever do is to find map stores with a large variety of types.

Let’s say you wish to visit Colorado. Start with RAVEN MAPS. These are art. Expect to mount it. Carry it around the house to study as you also:

6). Read books on history, zoology, botany, geology. Create and then deepen What is Geography? This map series is unmatched.

When a location or an event has caught your imagination THERE IS NO REASON YOU HAVE TO CAMP THERE. You might actually be parked hours away and have chosen to have an affordable, spacious & scenic campsite. Versus trying to get close in with the crowd.

One of the truly funny aspects of insisting on having a pickup TV is that it’s such a lousy way to be a day tripper. And this is the point of maps: the road less taken. A three day event means six times there or back. That’s six opportunities to see more.

Etc. There is ANY level of depth you want.

I drive for a living nowadays. The best use of a GPS is to set waypoints. Several during the day for the mandatory break every two hours. One executes legs. Set trip odometer at each (emergency response info). Good lane choice and upcoming exits.

I call the GPS my real-time info manager. And I know it’s quirks. It’s handy, but I’d hate to only have it to chart a route.

As to online apps, why bother? You’re a big boy. Use first the Atlas. Use second GPS routing and compare. Refine.

Assume 50-mph average speed for the trip. This includes stops. As 300-miles is more than enough, the hoary, “300 or 3 o’clock”, is still applicable. This is a vacation. Start early if need be. NEVER drive into the dark.

Plan to enter any major metro area between 0900-1100 and no later than 1400. Make fuel stops and breaks more than 75-miles out from those. Planned stops only.

Add one hour to travel time for any major metro you must bisect. This means you may not cover 300-miles by 3 o’clock. Have a fall-back planned.

For this reason, and others of emergency, you ALWAYS need a safe harbor in a storm. And that’s truck stops. My favorites in order are

Petro/T-A

Loves

The app TRUCKERS PATH allows you to find them quickly. As well as WalMart & Rest Areas. See reviews. See sat pics (scroll down). Addresses.

The only other app is RADAR PRO. Review weather. Only one better is a pro pilot one my son uses.

62-64/mph is adequate. Slower is fine. Faster isn’t. There’s likely no one here or on other has my experience or training. I run 10,000-miles monthly. And I’ve been going Coast to Coast since 1962. USA, Canada & much of Mexico. The new guys — the tenderfeet with 10-15 years — almost always have limited and/or poor experience about on-road. They’re great about WHERE to go, though.

This is what I do. It’s tested. Statistically-valid. Vacation is a sub-set to me.

This thread isn’t about that aspect, but to emphasize HARD rules about planning. Ex: Higher speeds won’t get you there faster.

It’s early departure and avoiding high traffic volume that works.

(Ever heard: “Can’t fix stupid”? That’s the guy with vehicles all around him. Is that you?). It’s totalky unacceptable to part of a pack passing someone. Wait. It’ll dissipate.

Average MPH is the thing, and has ZERO to do with travel speed. So the moment to moment is while on cruise looking to avoid packs ahead, and overtaking packs. The driver MUST make time next to them short as possible. Cancel cruise and drop well below 60. Get them GONE

62-64/mph is just below truck traffic which is ideal. What is also ideal is that one’s cone of vision is WIDE. Which is both relaxing and can take on scenery. AND it’s the easiest speed at which to AVOID close proximity to others.

Stay AWAY from crowds

If you’re using a pickup to tow you’re already outside the pickups safe operating range at 65. Towing makes that worse. Minimize risk.

All that was to emphasize that HOW to estimate a daily trip plan takes some experience. You’ll pick it up quickly. The recommended speeds are NOT a penalty. They are DEAD CENTER ideal.

As to daily destination, get physical address and confirm with phone call. CHECK SATELLITE PIC.
Confirm that GPS will take you to THAT location.

If you’re using a tablet, then that AND your phone MUST have RAM MOUNTS permanently affixed.

Truck drivers use telephone headsets because BlueT and earpieces ain’t great at speed all day. Lack sufficient noise control. PARROTT 350. Can’t wear them out.

Your daily trip plan includes having all phone numbers already entered. Same for road service etc (we use dedicated satellite for much of this).

The only apps I’ve found useful have to do with private campground info. Reviews can be useful. Just don’t depend on them.

Each state has two things you need: State Travel Guide, and State Road Map. Mailed free or at border Welcome Center. Get both. Whether your on the way past or not. Next year is still out there.

What we used way back when was the AAA Roadtrip TripTik. Custom map routing. This IS worth it. Great baseline. Worth the membership fees (Good Sam and others have been dogs for decades now).

You are the man at the wheel. Make your own decisions. Lay out the day. “Planning apps” don’t really exist, friend. And they never will.

(See also my post on the thread about necessary things to carry: “Equipment for the Road”. Add to that medical/veterinary services. Pharmacies. Etc. Whatever you MAY need you put into the DAILY trip plan)

Good luck

1990 35’ Silver Streak Sterling