Everything I need to know about my Avion

A little about yourself
Jtholland757@att.net

Everything I need to know about my Avion

Post by Jtholland757@att.net »

After looking for darn near 2 years for either an airstream or Avion I bought a 1986 silver edition 10.6 metre(34w) Avion that looks like it’s been stored in a time capsule. Now I would appreciate any info on Avions in general and especially specific to this model. Basically preventative maintenance tips, etc. so I can keep our new home on wheels in shipshape condition. I’ll try to post some pictures if I can figure it out. We are so excited. Thanks. JT
Attachments
F3D94D1B-4DF8-4021-A7CF-49BC2E7F1C48.png
3CFBABC7-677B-42C3-90FE-A6402348075D.png
AE305DB8-12F1-4675-A982-C70DD9635646.png
62E0E0D2-DFEE-430E-8FDE-966D928ABCA3.png
6F16403A-62FC-4B9C-AB11-BB8A931240A4.png
1986 Avion 34w Silver Edition; Unit 123 of 200
2022 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 2500HD Z71 4WD
Razorback

Re: Everything I need to know about my Avion

Post by Razorback »

Hi, JT.. welcome to the forum, and congratulations on a REALLY nice Avion! I know that your patience has paid off, and you will not regret your decision. I admit I am TOTALLY biased towards Avions, but I do have some good reasons to back it up!

The Silver Edition you have is just that... a 25th anniversary model. I am not sure of all of the special features of the Silver Editions, but I know there is a floor safe somewhere, the special belt line color (red?), the "Silver Edition" decals.... maybe those had all of the available options??

Do you know how much use your Avion has had? How many road miles? How do you plan on using it? Will you store it at home?

All in all, it looks like it is in the best shape I have seen one in a long time! I would do the basic checks of the plumbing (check for leaks, make sure the water pump works, etc), check the wheel bearings and brakes, check the furnace, water heater, fridge, oven/stove..... Look for any signs of leaks from the roof area around the air conditioner, windows, door, ...... A few of the common leak sources is the hinge area where the front window rock guard attaches to the body, the upper main awning hold-down brackets, and the main awning attachment strip where the awning meets the body of the trailer...... also check around the plumbing vents on the roof.

I would run water in the black and grey holding tanks until they are full to see if there are any cracks in those tanks...... fill the water tank to do the same (add a couple cups of bleach to that tank while you are at it to sanitize it....let it sit a day or so then run water through all of the bathtub, bathroom sink, and kitchen sink faucets..... drain the main tank, then fill/drain it again to flush it out.... it'll be ready to go. As all three tanks are filling and draining, watch the indicators on the control panel above the fridge to see if all work.

Check the batteries......

You can plug the trailer in to a normal 20A 110V house outlet to test most things, except for the air conditioner. If you don't know already, if you have a dedicated outlet installed at home to use for the Avion, it needs to be a 30A 110V RV connection... NOT one like you use to plug your clothes dryer into..... that is 220V, and will fry stuff in the Avion if you plug in to a connection like that.

I bet your Avion is in great shape, and all you'll need is to familiarize yourself with things.

Keep us posted, and we always enjoy pictures!!

When questions come up, be sure to ask..... no such thing as a dumb question, except for one that goes unasked and causes problems. There is a lot of good, friendly help here!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Some general features of Avions that make them heads and shoulders above any Airstream ever built (IMHO)....

They are built like a tank, from the frame up: There are three 2x6 box channels running the length of the frame. In the axle area, there is another 2x4 box channel welded in that area. On top of that is a layer of plywood, then 2" of foam insulation, then another layer of plywood, then they applied vinyl floor covering, then carpet on top of that. In the walls and ceiling between the inner and outer skins is spray foam insulation that became rigid as it dried. This provides good insulation and some structural rigidity...... you should not have problems with rivet heads popping off, cabinet doors opening and/or falling off, or problems with stuff getting beaten to death going down the road. Avion was known for it's cabinetry..... solid wood, dovetailed drawer fronts, nice stains, etc. You have surely noticed that they used nice Delta faucets, porcelain-coated cast iron sinks, etc......

The suspension is called Adjust-A-Ride, each wheel has a brake and a shock absorber, and the split-axle design give an almost-independent suspension. If you have the original owner's manual, it will show you how the axles can be adjusted. The manual will also tell you how to safely raise the trailer if you need to get the tires off of the ground.

What tow vehicle do you have? Are you already set up to tow the Avion?? Any previous experience?
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Jtholland757@att.net

Thanks for the info. The original owner towed it with a suburban with a 454ci engine. I have a 2019 f350 longbed 4x4 lariat crewcab with the 6.7 diesel. Plenty of truck, and then some. I’ll have to fit hitch to proper height as my truck is higher than a suburban. The trailer is in showroom condition, 1 owner who ordered it from the factory and garage kept when not in use. Never pets, never smoking, no cooking or musty odors, no stains, rust, dents, window seals have been properly maintained, so no cracking...just a pristine trailer. We’re very blessed to have found it almost in our back yard.
Attachments
4D014486-9BC3-40CE-88A3-4F92C8AE8106.jpeg
3F8D2E3B-065A-443B-8DCF-569813E34CB0.png
BE4542EC-1CE3-45E6-A1D8-9B890F5937B1.png
2E34F8D6-2908-4AC6-8FAE-40D3C4FBDEDB.png
E4BAA766-FC12-4FCE-B50C-E4B24B4A5EAC.png
F02F1D0C-DD0D-45FA-B582-7BD6EEC28684.png
1DCB99BA-CB01-4010-9C52-9CF0BA13451E.png
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

All I can say is, "Wow!!!" That IS a beautiful Avion!

If you received the original documentation that came with the trailer, is there a separate brochure for the Silver Edition models? I have never seen one, but would be curious how Fleetwood marketed those. You'd think there would be some glossy literature....

I was looking through the pictures you added. I have always thought of adding a 110 outlet somewhere near the stove. I see that yours has one just to the left of the stove, recessed in the countertop. I wonder if that was added? I have thought of adding one somewhere above the stove, similar to the one at the other end of the kitchen area.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I missed telling you something obvious.... Check the tires to see how old they are. A great-looking tire can be old and deteriorated. I would hate to see your beautiful Avion damaged by a blow-out that could be prevented.

Does anyone else have any insite on this? The trailer has been store inside when not in use.... does the same 5-6 year guideline apply here?
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Jtholland757@att.net

It was last taken out in October approximately 300 mile round trip. I’ll be checking that Friday also. If older than 3 years, I’ll most likely be looking to replace before too long. There is supposed to be every receipt for anything bought, and a very extensive maintenance log. The previous owner was very meticulous, and looking over the unit I believe it. We have a large paved rv park outside of a sports complex about 6 miles from my apartment. We intend to take it there ASAP and hook it up for a few days( full hookup), and test everything out, as well go through it with a fine tooth comb both inside and out to make sure it’s ready to roll. Any special tools or bolt/screw sizes I should know about. Is everything sae, metric or mixed?
Salty

Post by Salty »

Hello and Welcome!
First off I wish to express my sincere and intense jealousy. If you paid less that 50K for this trailer, you stole it.
Be cautious about the clorox in the fresh water tank.Reading through the water pump literature I have, it says that chlorine will damage the diaphragm in the pump.
If you have already towed the vehicle I will assume that the brakes and lights are all ship shape.
Good choice about the tires. More than three years can be dangerous. I would recommend going with bias ply tires when you replace them,as these trailers have a bad history with radials related to their live axles. As a bonus, they're cheaper to boot.
While the trailer is in excellent condition, even though it was (as I understand it) garage kept, that doesn't exempt it from dry rot. INSPECT INSPECT INSPECT. The worse thing that happens is that you come away with a feeling that the trailer you bought was truly a diamond and not cubic zirconia and the confidence of knowing all is well.
Some things to think about going forward is switching the incandescent and florescent lights for LED, most of us here have already done so.
A weight distribution hitch is not a bad investment either.
From what I read about the meticulous logs kept by the previous owner, I will also assume that there is a manual that came with the trailer. Read it thoroughly. If the Previous owner had the trailer coated with Permacoat, then you will enjoy the beautiful luster of the satin finish for some time to come. If not, a coating of Everbrite would be a wise choice. sooner rather than later, as I believe I read that you live in an apartment and while I could be wrong, I don't think you have a garage to store this in.
I say sooner rather than later as your trailer has a beautiful ( Have I mentioned I was jealous) skin, that would require little in the way of prep work prior to the Everbrite application.
Why Everbrite or Permacoat? the skin on these trailers tend to oxidize. This tends to appear as a whitish film on the skin that doesn't just wipe off. Everbrite or Permacoat will protect the skin from the elements and prevent that oxide layer from developing into a white haze.
I will stop there with a final note. Razorback made many fine suggestions and you'll note from his signature that he has a trailer very similar to yours. Good luck, God speed and welcome!
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Jtholland757@att.net

Thanks for the tip. We have secured an indoor storage facility to keep it in when not in use. Looking forward to powering and pressuring it up for a couple of days for systems check. The unit comes with a WD hitch though I’ll probably need to adapt for several inches drop as it was set up for a Suburban TV, and I’m in an f350 4wd.
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

Jtholland757@att.net wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:43 pm After looking for darn near 2 years for either an airstream or Avion I bought a 1986 silver edition 10.6 metre(34w) Avion that looks like it’s been stored in a time capsule. Now I would appreciate any info on Avions in general and especially specific to this model. Basically preventative maintenance tips, etc. so I can keep our new home on wheels in shipshape condition. I’ll try to post some pictures if I can figure it out. We are so excited. Thanks. JT
This is a beautiful Avion and a wonderful find! Having looked at both Airstreams and Avions before purchasing our Avion, I can tell you that there is no comparison between them and Avion is much, MUCH better. A brand new Airstream Classic 33' is priced at $160,000. That should tell you how valuable your Avion is.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5