Product/tool endorsement...

Anything related to what's happening with your Avion
RISK

Product/tool endorsement...

Post by RISK »

I’ve been looking at portable inflators for awhile and finally bit the bullet on a DeWalt inflator. Saw it at HomeDepot for $100 with a 20v Lion battery. As I’m already deeply entrenched in this tool ecosystem (blower and vacuum are both used daily) I went with this. Out of the box it’ll inflate anything you may have, tires, balls etc... via a 20v battery or a fairly long 12v plug. I only used the battery to top off the tires of my trailer and tow vehicle. What’s really nice is that you dial in the air pressure you want and press play. Continue with other chores until it stops and move on the the next tire as the setting is saved.

I really like having to not drag out a bunch of hose from my air compressor and better yet, not to have to monkey around at a gas station trying to top everything off. Did all my tires at home before our trip and again before leaving the campsite.

If you already are married to the 20v DeWalt system, I very highly recommend this addition...

https://www.dewalt.com/products/gear-an ... r/dcc020ib

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Product/tool endorsement...

Post by KYAvion »

Nice! I’ve been considering this one, but I like the option of the battery with the Dewalt.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000X90YUO/?c ... _lig_dp_it

When you have a chance, would you mind measuring the 12v cord and air hose that comes with it?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Just saw the specs...existing cord is just shy of 14ft and air hose is 29”. It wouldn’t be difficult to extend the length of the 12v cord if needed. Same with the air hose.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

On sale for $80 at HD with battery. Think I might go ahead and get this.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-V ... -0K32iVWU0
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
RISK

Post by RISK »

Yeah, that’s the one. I’ve only used it on battery so the cord length is secondary for me. I typically travel with several cordless tools, batteries and of course a charger so it’s fine for that.

When I first was filling up, my tires were pretty low and I went through a couple batteries during that process but upon topping off to leave the campground I didn’t even depleat one battery.

Folding tire pressure into packing up is so easy with this thing... best $100 I’ve spent in a while.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Just ordered it! Per the manual, the run time at 100PSI or greater is 10 minutes, which is pretty good in my opinion. So it shouldn’t have too much trouble with my 80 PSI tires, especially when just topping them off.

I’ll pack batteries as well. Just nice to have the option of running off the trailer batteries if needed. It only draws 10 amps max too, which is a plus.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I gave the compressor a trial run yesterday with two partially discharged batteries that sat in the trunk of my car all day Friday until Sat morning. Friday night temps dropped into the low 30’s so I’m sure the batteries weren’t at their best, especially given they were already partially discharged. Nonetheless, I was able to top off all four trailer tires from around 70 PSI to 80 PSI, as well as top off each of my car tires from low 20’s PSI to 32 PSI.

Topping of my car tires was pretty fast since the PSI was only 32 PSI per tire. Getting the trailer tires up to 80 PSI took longer, but that’s to be expected with pushing 80 PSI into a tire. I think the compressor did great. The compressor is small, lightweight, and shuts off automatically upon reaching the set PSI. Very pleased with it. Thanks for the recommendation.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
RISK

Post by RISK »

Happy to share...
I haven’t tried the deflating option yet, but for lowering truck tire pressure after towing it could be useful.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre