Need advice on new ac unit...

Anything related to what's happening with your Avion
RISK

Need advice on new ac unit...

Post by RISK »

Howdy,

Well, what started as a general cleanup after our New Years camping trip has led me to thinking it’s about time to invest in a new AC unit on our ‘78 Avion 28M.
Essentially, I found a leak point when I took off the ac shroud and need to remove the unit to get to it. It’s an old Carrier unit that works well but is as loud as a small jet inside. If I’m going to take it off, it’s not going back on.

My questions are thus:

1) I’d like a low profile unit of 13,000 btu’s... Coleman, Atwood or Dometic?

2) any real advantage or disadvantage to getting one with a heat pump?

3) know of any deals going on?

Thank you in advance,
Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
Salty

Re: Need advice on new ac unit...

Post by Salty »

Just saw this. Don't bother with a heat pump unit. everything I have read leaves me with a bad impression. and in cold climates, heat output is negligible. I have little experience with Coleman, though I have a neighbor with a Coleman unit and the unit is 10 years old and still going strong. As a matter of fact I helped him clean it out yesterday and it is running fine.
I have 2 Dometic 15K BTU Brisk air units installed in my 34V and they are loud. Not as loud now that I have the Air distribution boxes on, but still loud.The source of the noise in the air movement from the cage fans. I asked around about quieter units, but the response I got was that they ( roof mounted AC units) are all loud.
As for effectiveness, in Texas, in the heat of summer, I had no issues staying cool. I had one visitor comment that I could hang meat in my trailer.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Dale Camp

Re: Need advice on new ac unit...

Post by Dale Camp »

Consider the Atwood. I don't know if they have a low profile unit, but they are reportedly much quieter than others. My Coleman Max air 15K unit is very noisy.
Good luck.
Dale in Pearland, TX
1982 34V
Dale Camp
1982 34V
2017 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4X4
Pearland, TX