converter replacement time...

Johnatron

Re: converter replacement time...

Post by Johnatron »

KYAvion wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:26 pm
Kep wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:42 am Looks good except the clamp connector in the first picture.

I would never use that type of connection on DC and would avoid it if possible for AC circuits earth grounds would be okay.

The Dura seal connector crimps full circle on the wire then the heat shrink on it has a heat activated glue to seal it from the elements. They have larger bare but splices in bigger sizes like #10 and larger. For those I crimp and solder them then use heat shrink to seal them. I use them all the time on 4/0 cable.

Can you point to the clamp connector you’re referring to? Could be because I’m looking at the image on my phone and not a monitor, but I don’t see it?
Here it is.
Attachments
C9E88A24-4727-4C73-A98C-B2F22C579198.jpeg
1981 34V
Johnatron

Post by Johnatron »

Wow, that must have been a gnarly fire. Do you do setups for 18 wheelers? Looks like the rear end for one.

Priceless info and the pics speak volumes. Much obliged, good sir.

I’m curious as to the real life voltage drop with 8g, so I think I’m gonna give it a shot. I’ll replace the clamp bolt with a crimp on. Could I use the crimper from the strippers for #8, or should I look into renting/buying a heavier duty crimper?

I’ll bookmark this page and make a mental note when the time comes to up the gauge. I can’t thank you enough. My deepest apologies if I’m hijacking your thread here. I felt my inquiries was appropriate for the topic at hand.

On another note...I started on wiring the power center today.
Attachments
7BCD0A57-BA07-4535-8DAA-7841F27E0FB1.jpeg
1981 34V
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Thanks for the zoomed in pic. Looks like your install is coming right along.

@Kep - I’m just curious why you don’t like split bolt connectors? Is it because of the effect road vibration might have? Do you feel the same about those Polaris connectors?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Kep

Post by Kep »

KYAvion wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:06 am Thanks for the zoomed in pic. Looks like your install is coming right along.

@Kep - I’m just curious why you don’t like split bolt connectors? Is it because of the effect road vibration might have? Do you feel the same about those Polaris connectors?
They become loose over time due to vibration and heat and cool cycles. IMHO if you have a high amp low volts run you must secure and seal it from the environment. That is why they are okay for a never used earth ground application. I'm not familiar with the term Polaris connectors. But after looking at them on line they are okay for their intended purpose of multiple runs on a single circuit. Scotch locks however are a never use product though IMHO.

It was a fire on a city bus that ran over a mattress and the driver failed to stop soon enough. Likely It is going to likely be my retirement project LOL.
1975 28' LeGrande Twins, rear bath, front dinette.
Johnatron

Post by Johnatron »

Kep wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:57 am
KYAvion wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:06 am Thanks for the zoomed in pic. Looks like your install is coming right along.

They become loose over time due to vibration and heat and cool cycles. IMHO if you have a high amp low volts run you must secure and seal it from the environment. That is why they are okay for a never used earth ground application. I'm not familiar with the term Polaris connectors. But after looking at them on line they are okay for their intended purpose of multiple runs on a single circuit. Scotch locks however are a never use product though IMHO.

It was a fire on a city bus that ran over a mattress and the driver failed to stop soon enough. Likely It is going to likely be my retirement project LOL.
Whoa, sounds like quite the job. So the city contracted you to fix it or are you turning it into a motor home?

Im about finished up with the wiring. I just gotta freshen up the battery wires and terminals. It’s a nightmare... Question: There are 2-30 amp fuses right after the battery positive terminal. Should I replace them with the same? Pic is below. Also, in order to clean up this rat nest, should I run all these wires into a terminal block, then run a 2 gauge wire to the battery terminals?
Attachments
CBCB825C-A59E-4DAD-B54A-B2C5754A77A1.jpeg
2E1E67FD-F90E-42A1-9D3F-086548612C5E.jpeg
1981 34V
Kep

Post by Kep »

Yes same breakers for the replacements on equal or similar loads. I would just run them to the battery post.

I have been working for the transit system for 29 years. Not too much longer to go. I am building our retirement home and needed a trailer to improve our efficiency so that's why I'm here LOL.
1975 28' LeGrande Twins, rear bath, front dinette.
RISK

Post by RISK »

Johnatron wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:06 pm My deepest apologies if I’m hijacking your thread here. I felt my inquiries was appropriate for the topic at hand.
Doesn't bother me in the least. It is indeed a great thread to tackle converters.

Carry on...

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
Salty

Post by Salty »

Just my 2 cents, there's a better way........

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=865

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=981
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Johnatron

Post by Johnatron »

Kep wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:20 pm Yes same breakers for the replacements on equal or similar loads. I would just run them to the battery post.

I have been working for the transit system for 29 years. Not too much longer to go. I am building our retirement home and needed a trailer to improve our efficiency so that's why I'm here LOL.
So, I should mount the 30amp fuses on the battery terminals? From what I gather, it’s bwat to mount fuses as close to the power source as possible(ie.the terminals). What fuses would you recommend? Can I mount both of these on the positive terminal?
Attachments
AFB995BE-228E-4B4A-9E86-DC7CB80730C4.png
1981 34V
Johnatron

Post by Johnatron »

Salty wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:01 am Just my 2 cents, there's a better way........

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=865

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=981
I like your “sense” Ian. That looks great. Yes, there is always a better way. What terminal blocks did you use? After researching your setup, I see you used a DIN rail. I wasn’t aware of such a thing before. Thanks for sharing.
1981 34V