New Avion 34v Owner

A little about yourself
Dilly

New Avion 34v Owner

Post by Dilly »

Hello!

So... I just sold my house and purchased a 1982 Avion 34v, and it needs a LOT of work. Fortunately, my budget and level of commitment are rock solid. I also have a good amount of experience remodeling houses and fixing cars, so the skillset is there, but this is my first travel trailer and I will admit that I know very little about it. Here is what I know so far:

The BAD- Tires are older than dirt, a few sections of subfloor need replaced, fridge IN-OP, water pump possibly IN-OP, furnace fires up but doesn't seem to move a lot of air, water heater=don't know, condition of tanks=don't know, condition of wheel bearings and brakes=don't know

The GOOD: electrical seems to work, stove works, furnace kinda works, only has 2 small leaks that I am aware of, its complete with no major cosmetic damage, its got what is in my opinion, the best floorplan for fulltime living as a single or couple.

Here is the plan in a nutshell: Over the next couple of months, I will remodel the interior to a point where it is livable and get the thing roadworthy. Then I will head south(probably to Austin) where I will work on the exterior, install solar panels, and finish/fine tune everything. I'm thinking that the remodel will go something like this:

Interior Plans:
-remove appliances, dinette, sofa, toilet, flooring and anything else I can to gain access to the subfloor
-replace sections of rotted out subfloor near the door, in the bathroom and wherever else I may find that it needs replacing
-install battery bank and other new electrical components such as inverter charger, solar controller, wiring, etc
-paint shell walls
-install new flooring and then reinstall furniture
-install wood burning stove and composting toilet
-install new countertops and cabinet hardware
-reupholster dinette and sofa (ok, make mom do it)
-check, repair, or replace all system components along the way

Exterior Plans:
-clean shell, seal leaks and replace window seals
-replace tires and repack bearings + check brakes and alignment
-explore the possibility of an axle flip lift
-install solar panels and new AC unit

I suppose I'll cut myself off here because seeing all this stuff written down is starting to stress me out!
Thoughts, opinions, criticisms, and advice are all welcome!

Thanks, and nice to meet ya,
-Dylan
Attachments
20181110_131235.jpg
20181110_131155.jpg
20181110_131330.jpg
20181110_131527.jpg
20181110_131612.jpg
20181110_131636.jpg
Razorback

Re: New Avion 34v Owner

Post by Razorback »

Welcome, Dilly! Dilly, Dilly!!! :D

Congratulations on your Avion, and I am glad you joined us here.

Sounds like you have a good plan, and it will be a lot of work, that's for sure. But in the end, you will have an even greater trailer! I love the floor plan of your 34V, with the double bed rather then the more prevalent twin beds. If one like that had shown up when we were looking, I would have snatched it up unless it was a total rag.

Keep us posted, and don't hesitate to ask questions.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Dilly

Post by Dilly »

Hi Razorback, thanks for the reply!

Here's a question for ya; Where is the water pump located and whats the best way to access it?
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Meant to ask...... what are you living in while you do this work? Renting somewhere?

And, I read your post again..... just take that list one item at a time..... eventually you will get it the way you want it. First, get it sealed up so your interior work doesn't get affected. And, if you will have it on the road, make the investment in new bearings, tires and possibly new brake assemblies. At the least, inspect the existing brakes and make sure they work. You will find many threads about sealing the roof seams and several options for doing it, and make make sure you pay attention to the common leak points of above the door, at the upper awning brackets, at the front rock guard hinge. Plan on a new seal under the air conditioner.

What are you towing it with?
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Dilly wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:07 pm Hi Razorback, thanks for the reply!

Here's a question for ya; Where is the water pump located and whats the best way to access it?
Not sure where it is on your model. Check under the bed?? I think it is usually somewhere close by the city water connection and the fill port. Maybe another 34V owner will chime in on where theirs is located.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Dilly

Post by Dilly »

Razorback wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:13 pm Meant to ask...... what are you living in while you do this work? Renting somewhere?
I'm living in my mom's basement until I am able to move into the trailer full time.
Razorback wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:13 pm What are you towing it with?
I've got a 1994 Dodge 2500 Cummins with a 5spd

I think I have several of the common leaks, one over the door(the floor under the doorway is TOAST) and a leak that drips on the surface just behind the sofa, probably the rock guard hinge. Unfortunately, now that it's below freezing here in MN, I can't really track down leaks. I will, however, make an effort seal up the obvious stuff before I head to warmer weather.

If I end up needing to replace the brake assemblies and bearings, what is the best place to find the parts and what should I expect to spend?
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I will refresh my brain if where I ordered my complete brake assemblies and the cost.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Here you go..... check out this thread in our Running Gear section:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54

You will also find a thread there that details the bearings and races.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=253
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Dilly

Post by Dilly »

So, had to take a break from the trailer to handle a few other projects, now its go time. I started ripping up the floors and it's not pretty(I didn't think it would be!). I think I'm gonna leave the galley in, but all furniture along the starboard side from the bed to the sofa is gonna come out. As you can see from the photos, the water from the door leak was able to migrate pretty far and do a lot of damage. I will be replacing a lot of subfloor. Even the good portions of subfloor seem a little wavey and when I walk over the floor by the fridge, it doesn't feel particularly solid, not sure what that's about. I'm guessing I'll learn more as the demo continues. I think that some type of liquid floor leveler will be necessary as a final step before the flooring goes in.
Attachments
20181123_171240.jpg
20181123_194802.jpg
20181123_171248.jpg
20181123_194834.jpg
20181123_194819.jpg
Dilly

Post by Dilly »

I have a question for those of you who have painted the interior sheet metal of your trailers: What works best? Oil or latex? spray, roll, or brush?