New Avion 34v Owner

A little about yourself
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: New Avion 34v Owner

Post by KYAvion »

I’ve had good luck with Sherwin Williams Adhesion Primer (Now called Extreme Bond Primer) followed by medium lustre Cashmere paint (latex) applied with a foam roller.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Dilly

Post by Dilly »

Thanks, KYAvion. Say, I recall digging through the forum a while back and seeing a photo of your trailer where it looked lifted. Did you lift your avion, and if so, how? I've been toying with the idea of doing an axle flip lift on mine. I would think that using longer shocks and making custom plates to relocate the inner control arm mounting points lower would be necessary.

On a related topic, I need to order new tires. My trailer has 7.00-15's and from what I understand, a 225/75r15 is the closest size, being slightly shorter and wider. I'm a little concerned about fender clearance and rim width. What are we using for tires?

My furnace is not igniting reliably and I can see that the exhaust vent tube is extremely rusty. I think replacing it would be a safe move. Can I find a modern replacement that would be a direct fit? I've got the cubic grizzly temporarily mounted up so I keep it toasty while I work without the furnace.
Attachments
20181202_120939.jpg
Salty

Post by Salty »

Before lighting the installed furnace, I would thoroughly check it out. CO poisoning is no joke. The old suburban, if it's an original, would have rusted.
The water pump on my 34v is under the driver side bed.
Floor rot SUX,
While you're sorting out the furnace, you will likely want to inspect the 3/8"OD and 1/2"OD copper gas lines beneath the rig and ensure the are leak free and secure.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

No lift on my trailer. The prior owner had a MorRyde suspension installed, which raised it up some. I like the extra clearance myself.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Link to furnace install in my 30R. For a 34 you’d need the next size up.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=130
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Dilly

Post by Dilly »

Hi Salty, thanks for your reply
It's an old duotherm. I have fired it up and run it for hours on end. my co2 detector doesn't go off, but it's not igniting reliably (electric ignition, no pilot) or putting out much heat. I have also checked the lines with soapy water and I don't see any leaks, but I do sometimes get a faint, sulfury whiff. The smell could be coming from any one of the ancient lp appliances. The thing hasn't burnt to the ground yet, so... I'll sort it all out eventually :D

I'm still unable to pinpoint the pump, haven't looks super hard yet. mine has a double bed and a dresser where the port side bed would normally be. Would the pump be below floor level? would it be enclosed or exposed? It's not in plain sight when you open the lower cupboards and poke your head in. there are however a lot of water lines in that area so I must be close.

Are there any good sources for used RV appliances? Searching online I find only new. Would love to not spend thousands on appliances if I can help it. I need a furnace, fridge, ac, maybe water heater... oh boy, I'm gonna have like 20k into this thing in no time... :shock: beats an 80k airstream!
Dilly

Post by Dilly »

For anyone who is interested, here is a video tour of a camper van conversion that I did a couple years back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8F1YmbBN3c
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Nice van! Great use of space.

How is your reflectix attached? Just friction fit?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Salty

Post by Salty »

Suburban 34k BTU can be had for $600.
Precision temp continuous water heater @ $900 and change. Electric 6 gallon for $550. I have the Precision and it works great.
Unless you plan on baking, I'd convert the oven to cook top or go with an Induction cook top.
Are you on a 30 Amp or 50 Amp system?
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Dilly

Post by Dilly »

KYAvion, Yes, they are just kinda wedged in there.

Salty, 30 amp system. I think I'll keep the original stove. I prefer gas over electric for cooking.