Can I winter camp?

Tips and tricks for cold weather use of your Avion
KansasJoe

Can I winter camp?

Post by KansasJoe »

Hello,
I have the opportunity to buy a vintage Avion that needs some work (I can do most myself) but can start camping in it now. I'm wanting to take it with me this winter when I have to go out of town and work, also, I plan on boon docking most of the time. Rather than staying in a hotel, staying in this unit will be much better. My question is how well insulated are the Avions? This is an early 1960s model. I'll be in the mid-west and also plan to get a quiet generator for heat and lights. Do you think this set up will work? I plan on putting on layers of clothing and I have a 4 layer army sleeping bag. I don't plan to hook up any water as I will shower, etc at the local gym.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated. BTW, this is a beautiful Avion and I know I can restore her to her past glory.
Thanks,
Joe
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Can I winter camp?

Post by KYAvion »

It’s certainly possible, but would probably be easier and more enjoyable if you had 30 amp electric and water. I use mine a lot in the winter, down to temps in the single digits.

How long would you be away when at work? What part of the country are you in?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KansasJoe

Post by KansasJoe »

I will probably be there for around 6 months. I agree with having 30 amps and water but one of the improvements on this particular camper is it needs a new water holding tank and new lines. I have 3 kids in college so I can live w/o comforts but something I can do while living in it is too hook up a solar system.
I'm also thinking about a kerosene heater too. That might work out.
Lorig63

Post by Lorig63 »

I sleep in my Avion in winter in Ohio. She's under a Carport so no snow on top, but the cold that creeps up is killer. I've finally settled on a heated mattress pad. Snuggly warm. I run a small panel heater on low so my nose doesn't freeze.
slowmover

Post by slowmover »

The problem is water (Isn’t it always):

1). When temps get above 32F during the day and you’ve sun out, you’ll likely be alright.

2). When temperature highs are below this, you won’t be, so to speak.

It isn’t so much staying warm. It’s being able to use the plumbing. Water-burst plumbing is an unreal problem. You’ll have to use water containers. For every use. AFTER you’ve “winterized” the trailer by using compressed air to blow the lines clear, and then using RV Antifreeze in lines, traps, etc.

No, you can’t flush toilet.

3). The next problem argues AGAINST using the trailer in winter: condensation. You, by yourself, give off enough moisture to start a buildup. It’s a problem at length I’ll not go into. I recommend you head over to AIRFORUMS and read that subforum on the perils of winter camping.

4). What’s necessary “to do it right” includes an awful lot of work. Separate entry. Trailer skirts. Hundreds $$ for extra electric for tanks and lines, etc.

5). Get an apartment until it’s really spring. This is not a long weekend hunting trip. It’s 24/7 for months. Can you “camp”? Sure. Can you live there through the winter? No. Not without extensive & expensive preparation with poor guarantees.

1990 35’ Silver Streak Sterling
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

As Slowmover mentioned, winter camping definitely has its obstacles. I routinely camp in below freezing temps, but it’s typically for no more than 4 or 5 days at a time. I installed heat pads on my black tank to keep things warm between visits to the trailer, and I installed heat tape on my water line and spigot. I also set up my water lines so I can just open a couple valves to drain them between trips, so the only line I have to winterize is the line to the toilet valve. I’ve got a good friend who stays in his SOB year round, but he had to install skirting to keep the chill out of the floors. It’s doable, but then again we rarely see prolonged days in the single digits.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
slowmover

Post by slowmover »

It’s limited, is the point. A hard, cold winter can take more out of a trailer than it’s meant to deliver.

I bought mine at a significantly reduced price because of a blue norther that hit the Permian. Owner wasn’t prepared. When he got back, WOW!
1990 35’ Silver Streak Sterling