1st of many posts

Towing Rigs, Hitches, Weight Distribution, Sway Control
KansasJoe

1st of many posts

Post by KansasJoe »

Hello,
My first post! I'm glad I found this place, thank the Lord for google! I have a couple of questions and hoping you all will be able to help me. I'm seriously thinking of buying a 1961 T-27. The owner says it weighs 3300 lbs. I have a 2011 1/2 ton Chevy Silverado 4 x 4. I don't think this truck will have any problems pulling the trailer if I buy it, but what kind of ball and hitch should I use? I'm thinking of getting sway bars too? Also, does anyone know how far down the ball should hang down for the trailer hitch? Anything else you can think of concerning this will be greatly appreciated. It's going to be a 6.5 hour drive getting the ol girl home if I should buy her.
Thanks so much,
Joe
Razorback

Re: 1st of many posts

Post by Razorback »

Hi, Joe! Thank you for joining us here, and welcome!

I guess one of the first answers to get is the ball height of the Avion, then go from there. If the owner could level the trailer and measure from the ground to the top of the coupler, I bet it’s somewhere in the range of 18”-20”? Then, I would look for a simple weight distributing hitch..... what would that be.... Class III or IV? And a simple friction-type sway control would be adequate.
Depending on the height of your truck, you will need an appropriate drop-down shank. It’s all do-able.... you just need some measurements.

My hitch setup is from Curt Mfg, but others are almost identical. Having experience with them, I will recommend that you call their technical support line and discuss it with them. They have always been helpful to me.

I will do some looking on their site and see if I can come up with some specific kits. Meanwhile, I know others will offer suggestions.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

This is a good start..... I bet Curt could put together a kit that includes all you'll need....

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/17000
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

That Curt hitch looks like a good set up. My personal preference is the 3P by Propride. Does it reduce sway? No, it’s elimates it. Overkill? Debatable. Expensive? Yes. Would I purchase it again? Absolutely.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KansasJoe

Post by KansasJoe »

Thank you to the both of you. I plan to call Curts tomorrow
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

This link will take you to what is listed as a 1963 owner's manual. One of the first pages states that you need a 2 5/16" ball and that the height is 20".

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=12
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

Asking "What is the best weight distribution hitch?" is like asking "What is the best religion?" :D

With that in mind, here is my 2 cents:

1) Most weight distribution hitches, when installed and setup correctly, work just fine.
2) There are pros and cons for each brand.

Hence, "the best" weight distribution hitch is dependant on your personal requirements.

Some of the attributes worth consideration are:

1) Ease of installation (granted this is a one time thing)
2) Ease of use (hitching/unhitching)
3) Weight distribution capability
4) Sway control capability
5) Price
6) Weight
7) How noisy is the hitch?
8) Durability
9) Availability (some part breaks and you are in Yellowstone and need a replacement part)

There seems to be 3 types of weight distribution hitches:

1) Traditional: A round or trunnion bar does the weight distribution. Sway control is either integrated (e.g. BlueOx SwayPro, Reese Strait-Line, etc) or achieved via friction sway bars (Curt, EAZ Lift, Reese Pro Series, etc). There are literally tens of thousands of these hitches on the road. They are simple, cheap, and seem to work fine.

2) Pivot Point Projection (PPP) hitches: Hensley and ProPride are the only game in town. They offer superior sway control compared to traditional hitches.

3) Andersen: Uses chains to achieve weight distribution. Some report of not being able to achieve desired weight distribution. I personally have achieved 100% front axle load restoration. However, I have a trailer with a light tongue weight and have welded the brackets to A-frame.

Good luck to you on picking "your" ideal hitch! There are many good options.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
KansasJoe

Post by KansasJoe »

Thank you very much. Do you think it's the same measurements as a 1961?
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

KansasJoe wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:26 pm Thank you very much. Do you think it's the same measurements as a 1961?
I have no way of being 100% sure. Can you ask the seller?
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Do you even need a weight distribution hitch (WDH) with a 3300lb GVW?

Here's a (WDH) offered by Curt Mfg. It is rated for a trailer weight of 5-8K lbs. There are no other hitches of a lighter duty.

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/17499

Maybe adding a stiffer sway bar and heavier duty shocks to the tow vehicle is all that's needed.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P