Event

Anything related to what's happening with your Avion
Salty

Event

Post by Salty »

My trailer had an event today. The picture says it all.
DSC_0032.JPG

The roller tube is toast. Springs & locking hub are done

The arms seem OK, but the infamous arm brackets took a hit.
DSC_0033.JPG

Immediately called my insurance agent and then proceeded to repair the bracket with parbond.
DSC_0035.JPG
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Razorback

Re: Event

Post by Razorback »

Oh my goodness!!! Really pains me to see that!

Looking at the ground, I assume it was caused by heavy rain? So sorry to see what you get to deal with now.

One of my concerns while camping is exactly what you showed us in the pictures. Even if the weather is completely calm, I never leave the awning extended when we leave the trailer or when we go to bed. And, I try to get it rolled up if I know it's going to rain much. Even with one end of the awning lower than the other, and with the metal grommets that are in ours to act as drain holes, a heavy rain can put a tremendous amount of weight on the awning.

Keep us posted with the repairs. I am sure that a new awning will not be cheap.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

For the future...one thing I’ve done if I’m going to be away for a bit, is I’ll lower the awning arms. That is, I’ll leave the awning out, but lower the arms so there’s no way any rain water can settle on top. I suppose there’s a chance a heavy wind could still catch it, but in that lowered position it seems pretty safe to me.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Salty

Post by Salty »

One of my neighbors saw what happened and it was the downburst before the rain storm that caused it.
It could have been worse, I could have been sitting under it.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Sorry to hear about that. As you said though, it could have been much worse.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R