Interior Floor Lights

silverloaf

Interior Floor Lights

Post by silverloaf »

I have 3 round 12v interior floor lights. I'm try to figure out where they get their power. Maybe a switch tied to the front ceiling light?

Any ideas? Thanks.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Razorback

Re: Interior Floor Lights

Post by Razorback »

That is a good question..... mine do not work, and I think I have tested the bulbs and verified that they will light up with 12VDC on them.

The "Indirect Lighting" switch makes the lights in the front above the open shelving come on.

(My "ceiling lights" switch doesn't make anything come on or off, either.)
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

silverloaf wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:38 pm I have 3 round 12v interior floor lights. I'm try to figure out where they get their power. Maybe a switch tied to the front ceiling light?

Any ideas? Thanks.
Would you be able to share a photo of these floor lights? My Avion does not seem to have any (unless I've missed them). I am trying to understand what these lights are and look like. Thanks!
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lights ... L11CB.html

There are 2 additional ones on each side of the steps. I'm replacing them with the one above. They are wired into the porch light switch. You can barely see them in the pic below.

Funny, but they were each $0.86 cheaper when I ordered them last Saturday.
IMG_2108.JPG

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I hope you can see the round lights near the floor. One at the base of the dinette seat, one in the hallway below the drawers/doors, and one below the bathroom cabinet.
Attachments
IMG_3490.JPG
IMG_3491.JPG
IMG_3492.JPG
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Salty

Post by Salty »

Same story here on the indirect floor lighting. Half moon mid 70's Chevy truck license plate lights.
As for the porch lights, I found LED lights in this style at Tractor Supply. Work great! Quite bright.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

Thanks for the photos guys. Our 78 does not seem to have these floor lights. We do have a license plate light that is not working. I will order via the etrailer link silverloaf shared.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Salty wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:22 am Same story here on the indirect floor lighting. Half moon mid 70's Chevy truck license plate lights.
As for the porch lights, I found LED lights in this style at Tractor Supply. Work great! Quite bright.
You mind sharing a pic of that porch light you got at TSC?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Razorback wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:41 pm That is a good question..... mine do not work, and I think I have tested the bulbs and verified that they will light up with 12VDC on them.

The "Indirect Lighting" switch makes the lights in the front above the open shelving come on.

(My "ceiling lights" switch doesn't make anything come on or off, either.)

My new porch light wouldn't light up. I went to the 12v fuse panel and found the top 20A fuse had blown. I replaced it and it blew again. I pulled the 4-gang switch assy. out of its opening and did some circuit checks.

As I did my circuit check, I flipped each switch. I flipped the porch light, front trailer light and indirect lighting switches in sequence. All lit up. When I flipped the ceiling light switch, it blew the fuse.

I removed the ceiling light and found a set of wires from the switch and another set that disappeared above the ceiling. When I separated the wires, I had power to the light. When connected together, the fuse would blow.

I don't know the destination of the rogue wire. I began to think it was wired into the floor lights and got shorted out. Since the ceiling light has its own on-off switch, I thought maybe the ceiling light switch on the wall also controlled the floor lights.

By the way, I found 6-7 14-gauge white wires jammed into one too-small wire nut behind the wall switches. Some were loose. I installed a larger wire nut.

Anyway, I've now assigned a low priority to the floor lights. I'll get the ceiling light working and leave the roque wire disconnected for now.

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

I did some additional sleuthing to find the end point of the rogue wire mentioned above. I think
IMG_2115.JPG
found it connected to the floor light under the fridge.

In the attached pic are two sets of wires. Both were connected to the floor light. I separated the wires and ran a power supply to each. The bottom wire in the pic blew the fuse; the top wire did not. I'm confident the bottom wire runs to the ceiling light.

That being solved, my next challenge is to figure out where to fish a wire to the wall switch or install a new switch on the wood fridge cabinet. I have a hot wire under the fridge that originally went to the smoke/carbon monoxide detector.

What would you do?

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P