Tarnished

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
Tarnished

Tarnished

Post by Tarnished »

So far, disappointed with my efforts to clean up the aluminum. Have spoken to airplane owners
And mechanics at the small plane Airport near me and they want to know if I find something that works!
Most recenfly I've buffed with rubbing compound then used the aluminum box polish for trucks.
Best results have been......eh!
Rubbing with WD40 gives the best results but not very long lasting. Has anyone tried polish after letting the WD40 sit for a few days? Unless there's a definitive negative I'll try it.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Tarnished

Post by KYAvion »

Have you looked into Everbrite? @Becky B. had great results with it.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Still hoping to find a long-lasting solution, but so far have had decent results with Penetrol and the aluminum truck box polish. The Penetrol was the easiest to use. I like the truck box polish but is much more work.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flood-Penet ... /100130893

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Better-Built-Polish/3035639

I still want to try some products that I first started using back in 1984..... Klasse's Sealant Glaze and their All-In-One cleaner. It is an acrylic product. Need to get some ordered and try it.

https://www.autogeek.net/klasseallinone.html
https://www.autogeek.net/klashiggloss1.html
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Illinoisdad

Post by Illinoisdad »

I have been thinking about the same thing. Has anyone used the Parfe Wax? I've read it makes it look nice.

Tim
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

From what I’ve read, Everbrite or getting the trailer clear coated by Cayo, is the only way to achieve long lasting results. Everbrite sounds like it’s relatively easy to apply, so it’d probably be worth a look.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I have used ParFe and really liked it. Great product, but their customer service has been really lacking. The contact I have had with them has always been pleasant, but it must be a side job to their side job because a LOT of people have complained about the length of time it took to get their order..... IF they got their order. I have tried to encourage them to do better, but I have not heard anything recently about them..... maybe because people have stopped trying to order?

Illinoisdad wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:44 am I have been thinking about the same thing. Has anyone used the Parfe Wax? I've read it makes it look nice.

Tim
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Salty

Post by Salty »

My 2 cents worth.
Started cleaning up the trailer today in preparation for Everbrite. The oxidation on this trailer is horrific. The cleaner that comes with the Everbrite kit is not putting a dent in it. Trying to find the gold Scotch Brite pads Becky recommend has been a bust, last alone ones that attach to my grinder. WHAAA, sux to be me.
Grabbed 2 gallons of Vinegar this evening
Picking up Truck box polish in the morning.
We'll see what tomorrow brings.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Tarnished

Post by Tarnished »

Salty, we use rubbing pads in the shop frequently. They come in various grades equal to about 80 grit to 1000grit. They will leave swirl marks in the coarser grades. Readily available at good paint stores or auto paint stores.
Also on line.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Understood. Was expecting the chemical in the Everbrite kit to be the panacea. Checked with a local welding supply and they can order the gold Scotch Brite for me, just that I'm fighting weather and time off. It's frustrating as hell.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Just to follow up. I did not succeed in getting the trailer oxide free. Far from it. I did succeed in knocking it down on one side. I went old school. Wet sanding with progressively finer grit sand paper starting at 220 grit and stopping with 600, after which I used truck box polish to try to aresst or slow down the oxidation until I get proper scotchbite pads and time to do it right.
While I see a marked improvement, there's still significant oxidation left.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250