12v Panel

Illinoisdad

12v Panel

Post by Illinoisdad »

I was hoping someone could help me with the 12v panel in my 1975. The label on the cover is gone and I havent started to trace it out yet.

Does it look factory?

I have another post about my converter, if you are interested.

1. I believe this goes to my jack
2. I think it has to be a supply
3. Load for something? If i'm reading it correctly the fuse is in parallel,i dont understand why.
4. Supply for lights and outlets?
5. Supply from #2.

Thank you,

Tim
Attachments
12v panel.jpg
Illinoisdad

Re: 12v Panel

Post by Illinoisdad »

I was able to spend a little time working on it this weekend. Here is what I've found.

1. Front Jack
2. Goes to positive on battery
3. Ties into Red on PD 708
4. Ties into White on PD 708
5. Jumper to power the two circuits.

The PD 708 has two power wires, Red and White. I believe the red is the battery charger and the white is 12v converted from 120v a/c. The new 9245c only has a positive and negative, which doesnt give me a place to use the blue wire. I would guess in this setup that I need to jumper over from #2 to power what the #4 wire is currently powering.

I'm also looking at getting a new fuse block, what are your thoughts?

Thank you,

Tim
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Check out the link below for a wiring diagram for your current converter. Keep in mind that your converter is powered by 110v AC and converts 110v to 12v. That is, when plugged into shore power, the converter changes 110v AC to 12v DC so things like your 12v lights, water pump, furnace, etc will run. Now when your not plugged into shore power, your converter does nothing and all those 12v circuits (lights, water pump, furnace, etc.) run off your batteries.

So as far as the wiring to supply juice to your converter, it either has a plug or is hardwired into a junction box. Any 110v circuit like this has a HOT (typically black), NEUTRAL/COMMON (typically white), and GROUND (green or bare copper).

Now your converter also also charges your batteries by converting 110v AC to 12v DC and supplies that load to your batteries to charge them (actually it’s a little more than 12v, but you get the idea). Just like 110v circuits, your battery is fed by a positive (hot) and negative (neutral).

https://www.progressivedyn.com/wp-conte ... manual.pdf
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Illinoisdad

Post by Illinoisdad »

KYavion,

Thank you.

My questions is this. The old unit has a red wire, that is for charging the battery. A white wire, attached to #4 blue wire, it supplies 12v to the 4 circuits. I dont know why they isolated the far left 2 circuits that #5 wire supplies. On the new unit it only has a positive and negative, no third 12v supply. I can change how the fuse panel is wired so all circuits get from the single supply. If I dont change or tie the blue#4 to something then the 4 circuits it feeds will be dead. Does that make sense? I'm also looking at a new fuse block, seems that it would clean a few things up.

Tim
Tarnished

Post by Tarnished »

Not sure if I'm correct but I installed both blue and red to the positive terminal.
All is well on board since installing.
Illinoisdad

Post by Illinoisdad »

Tarnished,

Thank you, that's what I plan to do.

Tim
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Based on your pic, the BLUE wire (#4) and RED wire (#3) are the feeds for those 12v circuits, so connecting them to the positive terminal on the converter should work like Tarnished said. However, I don’t understand why the BLUE is connected to the white wire on your current converter, and not the 12v RED wire on the converter.

Are you certain the WHITE wire from your converter connects to the #4 BLUE wire? Per the manual (and what would be typical), the white wire on your converter would be 12v neutral.

Can you attach a pic of the connections coming out of your converter? This would help to visualize things.

How many wires are coming off the back of your converter? Four as the manual describes? Have you tested each of them with a multimeter to verify what each wire does?

Is the unmarked WHITE wire coming off the neutral bar in your pic going to the negative terminal on your battery? Or is it going to the negative on your converter?

Attached is a diagram that you might find helpful.
12v wiring diagram.jpg
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Illinoisdad

Post by Illinoisdad »

KYAvion,

Yes the Blue #4 and Red #3 supply to the panel. I should have said that this unit has two white wires, one going to the blue wire and one going to the grounding terminal.

Do you know if the PD 9245 has a spot for two wires to attach for positive or just one?

Here is the PD 708, at the wire nut of one white you can see whats left of the blue that I cut.

TIm
Attachments
20180923_204145.jpg
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I don’t know if the newer converter necessarily has a spot for 2 wires, but as Tarnished said both fit under the positive terminal. If you had trouble getting them to fit you could always just run a single positive feed that connects to both red and blue, or even just connect to the red and then jump to the blue at your fuse block. If your cleaning things up and installing a new fuse block, then that’s probably what I’d do.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

BTW, with things as they were, would your battery supply juice to the four circuits fed by the blue wire? It doesn’t look like they’d get any juice.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R