Ordered new "operators" for windows

Kep

Re: Ordered new "operators" for windows

Post by Kep »

After realizing I can't drill the rivets closest to the upper divider. That divider is in the way of the drill chuck. Looks as though the window will need to come out to allow the separation of the fixed top window. So I'm using my trailer on weekends while we work on our new home. So taking widows out isn't going to happen for a while. I have a small 1/4" angle adapter I may try but not while I need to use the trailer. Mine is a 1975 28ft.

PS: We are doing the home without a loan and have been working on it since 2007. The prep work like land, water well, driveway and off grid Solar system was since 1992. But we don't owe anyone anything and we are very close to moving in.
1975 28' LeGrande Twins, rear bath, front dinette.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

THAT'S the way to do it!!! Debt-FREE!!!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
WEB

Post by WEB »

You and I have the same trailer and the same building philosophy, and we'll have the same window solution as soon as you show me how because short of removing the windows, which I'm loath to do, it's got me flummoxed.
Good luck on the home stretch.

(Taking a break from making kitchen cabinet doors to write this.)
jack.bayes

Post by jack.bayes »

Yeah, we're in the process of having to change 2-3 windows out. Operators are totally shot.

HOWEVER, one of the big things a tech told me was to spray EVERYTHING before even trying to see if they work. I happen to be in Lowe's and seen a can of Garage Door Lubricant (GDL). I can't BEGIN to tell you the MAJOR DIFFERENCE in how easy they now open/close!!! I had tried White Lithium Grease spray, sucks. The GDL soaks into everything. It was downright amazing.

If it even looks like it might move - SPRAY IT.
Jack Bayes, MT(AMT),CLS,BS...'cptriker1'...
MS Gulf Coast...1987 Avion 34V (twin bed/rear bathroom)
Why did I get this Avion? Spend time in a 2018 Rockwood Mini-Lite!!! 8-)
Kep

Post by Kep »

FYI; My operators work fine but will not close and seal from air intrusion especially in high winds. I will try a lube to ensure they will not survive. What do I have to loose? :?
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Kep wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:27 pm FYI; My operators work fine but will not close and seal from air intrusion especially in high winds. I will try a lube to ensure they will not survive. What do I have to loose? :?
The operator can work like that and still need to be replaced. I had one window that I can see in my driver’s side mirror when we are going down the road. It will move out about 1/4”. Bugged the heck out of me until I got it replaced. Aside from that, there’s just the trim strips that seal the windows.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
WEB

Post by WEB »

Regarding the window 'flapping open' slightly when traveling, or the window simply not closing tightly enough:
A previous owner had made some wooden wedges to hold the windows closed. They worked fairly well, but sometimes they fell out plus I was concerned about damage to the screen so I 3-D printed some that I felt were an improved design with a protector for the screen. Our 1975 has a bent wire keeper/lock for the windows and the wedge fits over that. I'm not sure how the newer trailer windows are made and if that keeper remained a feature.
I can post a photo if you're interested, would be happy to email the 3-D file, or will print you some of the keepers if you pay the postage.
Kep

Post by Kep »

Interested in photo and file
Thanks
WEB

Post by WEB »

Here are some photos of the window keepers.
3-D printed out of PLA and we've been using them for several years now.
Attachments
Window_Keepers (1).jpg
Window_Keepers (2).jpg
Window_Keepers (3).jpg
Kep

Post by Kep »

Looks great! Would love the 3-D printer file.

This would be a great stop gap measure for me to use for my situation.