1987 Avion 30P Restoration

Anything related to what's happening with your Avion
Erehtuo

Re: 1987 Avion 30P Restoration

Post by Erehtuo »

Got some more of the roof cleaned up and applied more parbond to the seam going down the middle of the roof.

One of my fan covers is cracked and the vent pipe caps are in sorry shape. Any recommendations on what to do? Should I just put a maxxair cover over top the fans? Buy expensive replacement or just put new maxxair fans in there and replace the original unit? Any typical vent pipe cap will do?

Also, what do you guys use to seal the stuff to the roof. Can probably put eternabond over top but what about underneath the cover next to the aluminum? Butyl tape?

FD882C87-D9B1-4C63-B03B-F9E2F12585C5.jpeg
1C54A529-806F-4EE9-8424-84DFEDEB9714.jpeg
A86A76E3-002F-489F-8FB0-8DEC1A8E3312.jpeg
ADF05340-6BE9-458D-B4CB-BC59EAD75678.jpeg
5987E9C0-CB7F-4356-ACE3-F91B0FF821B8.jpeg
Erehtuo

Post by Erehtuo »

Also I'll be removing the antenna. Should I buy a sheet of anodized aluminum and patch with that or will any aluminum work? Any other options? I'll have to but a buck rivet gun to do it right, probably a worthwhile investment.
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Below is a pic that shows how I covered mine. I took a 12" square sheet of regular aluminum sheet stock and cut a 11" circle. I needed a larger cover to span a depression in the roof caused by the weight of the antenna. I applied a bead of Dicor sealant to the cover and pressed it against the roof; no rivets or screws were used.

Regarding the plumbing vent cap, here's what I used:
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-and-F ... 40138.html

Regarding the fans, I installed 3 new Maxxair ventilators:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J ... UTF8&psc=1

Regarding a buck rivet tool, check out Vintage Trailer Supply. Here's what I purchased:
https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Ol ... ts-177.htm
https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Ol ... ts-179.htm
IMG_1571.JPG
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Another option for the plumbing vent cap is:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Danco-Stainles ... ap/3132681

Here is a link to a thread I started when I installed mine:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=179&p=724&hilit=Gal ... +vrnt#p724

Parbond is great for the seal against the roof, and it is a fine idea is to put the Eternabond Alumibond tape over it. If it EVER leaks again, it'll be because it's under water! :D
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Erehtuo

Post by Erehtuo »

Things have been moving slow on the camper restoration due to other projects and babies but we finally got some funds to move forward and set a deadline to have it useable by June/July (start of hurricane season).

Ordered some maxxair fans, Bob, the ones you posted seemed to be pretty good based on reviews and I couldn't stomach any more cost for the ones with the built in raingaurds and worse reviews. What's the best way to install? Butyl tape between the flange and rv roof? Eternabond on top of that? Or should it be butyl sandwiched with dicor sealing on top? Anyone use eternabond doublestick? I'm afraid that would be too much.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Butyl tape under, Eternabond over. Ditch the ferrous screws and use Stainless.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Salty wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:00 am Butyl tape under, Eternabond over. Ditch the ferrous screws and use Stainless.
x2
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Erehtuo wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:37 am Things have been moving slow on the camper restoration due to other projects and babies but we finally got some funds to move forward and set a deadline to have it useable by June/July (start of hurricane season).

Ordered some maxxair fans, Bob, the ones you posted seemed to be pretty good based on reviews and I couldn't stomach any more cost for the ones with the built in raingaurds and worse reviews. What's the best way to install? Butyl tape between the flange and rv roof? Eternabond on top of that? Or should it be butyl sandwiched with dicor sealing on top? Anyone use eternabond doublestick? I'm afraid that would be too much.
Erehtuo,
I agree with Salty. I used a different seam tape than Eternabond but the principle is the same. However, I installed a layer of seam tape around each hole before installing the butyl tape and each ventilator.

You might find your OEM ventilator housings have rounded corners. When you remove the ventilators, you will find it necessary to cut away the corners in the skin. The roof framing is square off beyond the corners. The ventilators should drop into the opening.

You will find the ventilators do not conform to the curve of the roof. Also, you might find the roof has depressed around the ventilators. I had to double-up on the butyl tape under the ventilators to make up the difference.

When I initially installed the ventilators, I did not install seam tape over the ventilators' flanges. I incurred a leak at the front ventilators after being exposed to a winter of very cold temperatures in 2017. I have not a problem since applying a strip of seam tape over the flanges of the ventilators.

You will like the Maxxair ventilators, especially the customer support. One of my ventilators would not come on automatically when the temperature reached 75 degrees. I received a new circuit board from Maxxair within days.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Erehtuo

Post by Erehtuo »

Hey guys,

Need a little help troubleshooting here.

Quick update - I bought 3 Maxxair fans 4500k and have them installed. New plumbing vent caps as well, I bought Camco ones that swivel and look like fins. Parbond on the seams and fixed a leak I had from the awning bracket. That's about it, our little one is a monster who demands attention constantly...

I'm having a problem with the fans. The first one I installed works great, it's over the kitchen/living area in the front. The other two (over the twins and in the bathroom) both have the same problem. They will not function through the keypad. Some notes:

--They work just fine through the remote but the keypad isn't responding.
--I find that when I first turn the power on to the fans, they will turn on through the keypad and run for about 20 seconds but then they shut off and the lid closes.
--Both fans are at the start of the circuit and have wires that run to the next fan. The fan that works is at the end of the circuit.
--Contacted Maxxair and they sent out a new circuit board with new keypad. I just got that new one in and it does the same exact thing.
--Contacted Maxxair again and they told me that no coach manufacturer should be wiring fans up in parallel. Also, that I will need to check the voltage at the fans to see if it is in the operational range. It is likely the fans are shutting off due to it not receiving the correct voltage. I get that and it makes sense (I have yet to check the voltage) but if that were the case, why would they turn on through the remote and work then?

Any thoughts?
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

This will be interesting.
I cannot imagine how a fan would “know” or “care” if it’s wired in parallel with another one or two. Seems like none would work properly if it was a voltage problem.

If I were you, I would:
- Check the voltages with a meter
- With a 12vdc source (a separate battery, maybe a battery charger), power the suspect fans one at a time with that source and see if they operate correctly.

Then go from there.....

Anyway, your voltage measurements will be the place to start.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W