1987 Avion 30P Restoration

Anything related to what's happening with your Avion
Razorback

Re: 1987 Avion 30P Restoration

Post by Razorback »

I found and read through an installation and operation guide....

Could the “Auto” function be causing the fans to stop and close? Have you tried changing the default “Auto” temperature setting to see if that will make the fan stay on?

https://www.airxcel.com/docs/default-so ... a073076b_6
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Razorback wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:00 pm I found and read through an installation and operation guide....

Could the “Auto” function be causing the fans to stop and close? Have you tried changing the default “Auto” temperature setting to see if that will make the fan stay on?

I had an electronics problem with one of my MaxxAir fans as well. The fan wouldn't respond when activating the Auto-mode switch on the fan housing. I called Tech Support and provided them the serial number. It seems they had a bad batch of circuit boards from an off-shore supplier. They sent me a new board. It's worked great ever since.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Erehtuo

Post by Erehtuo »

Haven't tried it yet but I'll give it a shot, thanks Paul!
Razorback wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:00 pm I found and read through an installation and operation guide....

Erehtuo

Post by Erehtuo »

I actually spoke to them a while ago and they sent out a new board. I put that one in today and got the same thing.

I think I'll have to look into the auto mode and probably check the voltage to see what's going on.
silverloaf wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:31 pm

I had an electronics problem with one of my MaxxAir fans as well. The fan wouldn't respond when activating the Auto-mode switch on the fan housing. I called Tech Support and provided them the serial number. It seems they had a bad batch of circuit boards from an off-shore supplier. They sent me a new board. It's worked great ever since.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Razorback wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:13 pm This will be interesting.
I cannot imagine how a fan would “know” or “care” if it’s wired in parallel with another one or two. Seems like none would work properly if it was a voltage problem.
actually, I believe they would. not so much care as they would react to load on the circuit. if the circuit is getting loaded down and the voltage drops, then they might cut out. Sounds like these are a smart fan, if they're equipt with circuit boards.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Erehtuo

Post by Erehtuo »

So, some more confusion but maybe I'm narrowing it down.

Undoing the wires for the bathroom fan, I thought that would cut power all other fans as I thought it was first in the circuit. Not the case I guess, the front fan over the kitchen area still operated just fine.

All of this has been with the trailer plugged into an electrical cord that leads to a 15 amp circuit on my house. Not a 30 amp trailer connection. I pulled the plug and ran the fans off the trailer battery, all work just fine! So now I'm thinking my converter is bad and allowing too much to get to the fans when it is plugged in.

Checking the voltage, off the trailer battery I'm getting 11.78 volts at each fan. With it plugged into my house, I'm getting 18.68 volts to each fan, even the front fan that works just fine. I think the Maxxair guy said the would cut out if there was too much voltage and I think that was +13 volts. Not really sure why two would cut off and the other wouldn't or why they would still work through the remotes. Makes no sense to me.

I did look into the auto mode and it looks like it should reset each time to 78 degrees when the power is cut so all three fans should be the same each time they are re-energized. Even outside of the auto mode, I am getting no response from the key pads on the two back fans. The other one I can turn on/off through the auto mode or just with the on/off button.
Salty

Post by Salty »

hmmm. +18 volts DC? Not a typo? output of my converter is 13.62. If yours is putting out 18, then you may want to look into that.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Erehtuo

Post by Erehtuo »

Not a typo. I was thinking the converter is bad and isn't regulating the shore power like its supposed to.

But get this - when I take a fan out of the circuit in the rear, the voltage drops to 13 and then the fan left over works fine. To say it a different way, I disconnected the bathroom fan and left the trailer wiring together, the fan over the twin area works and the voltage is 13. Same thing when i remove the mid fan and leave the bath hooked up. I know these two are in the rear wiring circuit because when I pull the fuse for "rear" they don't work. The front fan is on the "ceiling" circuit.

So do I have a wiring problem or a converter problem? Why would the voltage increase to 18 when both fans are tied in to the circuit?
Erehtuo

Post by Erehtuo »

Thinking of using a buck converter to regulate the voltage on the circuit to the fans to keep it at a constant 12v. I found one on Amazon that looks like it would do the trick but would something like this create too much heat and be a hazard?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L8BTZW5/re ... WCb8P0H7ZV

I also found a guy on YouTube who had a similar issue in case anyone is interested.

https://youtu.be/1wyxDdn8Cpo