New a/c unit

Water Heaters, Furnaces, Air Conditioners, Refrigerators, Ranges
Tarnished

New a/c unit

Post by Tarnished »

Anyone have an opinion on what is the quietest or best a/c unit? Mine is old doesn't cool well
vibrates and is noisy. Looking at 10 & 13.5 k BTU units.
Thanks
Paul
ron95672

Re: New a/c unit

Post by ron95672 »

I just found out I may need to replace my AC. Any recommendations on where to start looking and what to pay? I am limited in my mechanical abilities, and I will probably pay a RV repairman to do the job. He said to expect $800 for the unit and $175 for installation.
Ron in Rescue, CA.
Ron in Rescue, CA.
1985 Avion 30P
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I bet you can replace it, unless you are totally mechanically DEclined.

The A/C is a 2-piece unit that makes a sandwich between the upper and lower parts, with the ceiling in between.

Usually, all it takes is:
Remove the outer cover and the inner cover..... both are held on with screws. The inside half is connected to the upper with a plug that you will disconnect.
The halves are squeezed together with 4 long screws in the 4 corners of the roof opening that compress the foam seal between the roof and the bottom side of the upper half.
With those halves removed, you will clean off the existing foam seal, clean the surface of the roof around the opening, then stick a new seal down.
Once that is done, you’ll reverse the process to install a new one.

The A/C on our 1987 Avion is the original Duo-Therm 13,500 BTU unit that came on it. If I ever need to replace it, I am going to spring for the 15,000 BTU “commercial” unit. Same physical size, but a little more cooling capacity and maybe slightly better components?

It has been 6 years or so since I had my A/C unit off of the trailer. I cannot remember how the trailer power connects to the A/C unit. Does anyone else remember? A connector? Wires that connect to a terminal?
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

My AC has a standard built in junction box for the wiring. So nothing complicated—real simple.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Salty

Post by Salty »

@ron95672 Is the unit in place Dometic or Coleman?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DOMETIC-DUOTHE ... Swyx1dK225

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Coleman-482 ... Sw-GFZlGbL

Razorback is right, it's pretty easy. Even easier if you can reuse your existing control box (Dometic)
Only thing that isn't obvious is to add foam spacers at the rear to help support it and don't crush the gasket.
I haven't done a Coleman, but the Dometic has a plug for the A/C unit into the control box.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.