First trip

Anything related to traveling with an Avion
Tarnished

First trip

Post by Tarnished »

Finally got the ole gal inspected and on the road. Not enough time to set up the new WD hitch so just using a sway bar. 345 miles to Cheraw SP & golf course in SC half on interstate and half on secondary roads. Excellent towing regardless of speed or conditions. Is a WD hitch really needed. Have enclosed a couple of pics. Lots of work completed since purchased in Dec and more to go but starting to look good. Unfortunately both radios bought at Warmart didn't work properly but for different defects. Damn. The a/c began tripping breakers day before leaving! Hooked up to the water tap, first time as the water where parked is questionable. Burst pipe under bathroom sink and I'm no longer flexible enough to repair it. A good trip not withstanding the minor problems in a great trailer. Much better then my AS Argosy.
(Just finished reading a thread on the AS forum about the shoddy workmanship on a new 33 and 25)
Gotta love marketing. Glad I discovered Avions and this forum.
Attachments
IMG_0437.JPG
IMG_0437.JPG (68.85 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
IMG_0438.JPG
IMG_0438.JPG (45.05 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
IMG_0439.JPG
IMG_0439.JPG (39.69 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: First trip

Post by KYAvion »

I really like your trailer and what you've done. Those kitchen cabinets look great and I like the way you carried the figure across the door fronts.

Weight distribution is really dictated by your tongue weight, which to be accurate requires a trip to the CAT scales. Sometime load your trailer up full of freshwater and lots of supplies as though you are going on a week or two week trip, and head to the CAT scales. Get your readings and pay particular attention to your tow vehicle front and rear axle weights with the trailer hitched up, and then park your trailer in the lot and drive back onto the scale for another reading. As an alternative to unhitching, and as long as your tongue jack doesn't land on the scale reading your rear axle, you could lower the tongue jack just until the weight is off your hitch. The important figure here is your front axle weight. You'll receive printouts with your weight ratings when you pay. Also keep in mind that if you were to load a bunch of stuff in the back of your tow vehicle, that increased weight would affect your front axle weight too.

I've never pulled without weight distribution, but I imagine another benefit may be when driving on a bouncy road. I bet the WD probably helps to stabilize the ride more quickly than if one didn't have it.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Sorry if I already asked this in another thread, but where'd you get your battery box?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Tarnished

Post by Tarnished »

I've installed an AGM battery under the settee. I built the box from pw and used aluminum paint.
All the blocking, leveling, etc is stored in it. Also bought these, easiest leveling job in 10 years of towing.
Attachments
IMG_0440.JPG
IMG_0440.JPG (57.14 KiB) Viewed 4012 times
Tarnished

Cabinets etc

Post by Tarnished »

The cabinet doors are made from standard 1/2" maple pw, left overs in the shop. Their use is to brighten up the interior a bit. Structural pcs like the tongue box are made from Baltic Birch pw, a very high grade of pw imported from Finland and Russia. 9 laminates per 1/2 " no voids. Decisions on how to rearrange the cabinetry will take place during the summer and winter use. Next year any real changes will begin. I like the Avion cabinets but don't like the poor grade of particleboard used. Also there was no finish on the inside of the cabs on my Travelcader. So a lot of hours have been spent sanding and applying varnish. Seems a new AC unit is needed. All in all the build quality greatly exceeds that of airstreams, lower case a on purpose.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Can't wait to see what summer and winter use sparks you to do!

I've not used those Anderson levelers myself, but I hear they are great. What a sensible design vs. the Lego blocks.

As far as your AGM battery, where are you storing it again?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Tarnished

Post by Tarnished »

The AGM battery is under the curb side settee. The original battery terminal wires were led into the storage box should a future change be desired. Forward of that is the new converter. Fuse blocks are original and find the tube fuses while seemingly good are failing so replaced all the old ones.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I am viewing this right now on my laptop and the pictures are rotated 90 degrees. Anyone else seeing this? They show up fine when viewed on my phone.

(With your OK, Tarnished, I can edit/rotate those pics so they will orient correctly....)
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

And... I LOVE your Avion! Beautiful trailer that anyone would be proud to own!!

Have fun!!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Salty

Post by Salty »

Pics: When you right click and select "View image in new tab" they orient themselves correctly.
Anderson levelers: I bought a set when someone in this forum mentioned them.Since I have three axles, I purchased two sets. I haven't used them yet, but look forward to it.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.