1987 34W - reRubber Cool White Roof Coat Project

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
Razorback

Re: 1987 34W - reRubber Cool White Roof Coat Project

Post by Razorback »

Went out to the Avion after getting home just a bit ago. It is 91 and sunny here today. Inside Avion temp is 94 (according to the dial thermometer that we usually keep in the fridge but is out on the counter top now).

Normally, that would be well over 100 degrees.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

At Lake Eufaula in Oklahoma through the weekend. Today was close to 100 degrees. The coated roof definitely made a huge difference in the ability of the single air conditioner to keep the trailer frigid inside. Tomorrow, the forecast high is 106. I expect the Avion will stay cool. At that temp. if I don't have to keep the A/C on high, I'll be surprised. Will report back.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Well, it was definitely HOT today! The official temp was 110 degrees, with a “feels like” of 117. That’s hot by any measure.
The site we are in faces east-west with trees on both sides of the pad, so the cut for the pad allows the sun to track nicely all day over the top of the Avion. So, I think today was a pretty extreme test.
The trailer stayed nice and cool, but you could definitely tell that it was hotter than Hades outside. During the most extreme part of the day, we had the A/C on high, as cool as it would go, and it kept the interior nice and cool.
That is with one 13.5K BTU air conditioner.

I am VERY pleased with the roof coating.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Thank you for the thorough report. There is an old engineering saying: “ in God I trust. All others bring data.” You brought data!

You did a very purposeful and masterful job of defining the coating zone with tape. I do it all the time for nice, clean, sharp lines.

Well done, Razorback!
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Thank you, Silverloaf. I tried!

I hope it helps others!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Aviongirl1995

Post by Aviongirl1995 »

I’m interested in trying this since I live in southern Florida and it’s VERY hot. I’m hoping this would help cut the cost of trying to cool my Avion year round. I’m not sure when the roof was last sealed.. does this product work as a sealant? Or would I still need to go through with something like parbond or eternabond first?
Also I’m sorry if this was already answered and I missed it, but where could I buy this product? I found the website for rerubber but couldn’t get connected to anyone, the recording said they were closed despite it being a Tuesday at 10:45... I also didn’t see any information about purchasing on the website
Owner of 83 34W
Salty

Post by Salty »

Razorback is a distributor. It isn't really necessary to do both eternabond and reRubber or Kool seal, but that is a path that razorback and I both took. I used Kool seal and had good results, razorback had good results with the reRubber.
All three products will seal leaks. The reRubber and Kool seal will reduce heat absorption from sunlight.
The idea is to get the roof clean prior to doing any of the three. Also, may I suggest eliminating the TV antenna if that contraption is still on the roof.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Yes, I stumbled in to this reRubber distributor thing..... since doing so, I sure don’t mind reporting on how much I like their products, but I don’t want anyone to think that I am promoting the stuff so I can SELL it. I liked their stuff WAY before they asked about a distributorship. It would not hurt my feelings at all if someone would rather deal with reRubber directly.

However, IF you don’t mind ordering through me, I will gladly do that and can save you some money.

As Salty mentioned, our seams were previously covered with Eternabond, simply because that was the first path I took. I even applied Parbond before that! All together, probably overkill, but I doubt my roof will ever leak again.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Salty

Post by Salty »

I pray that neither of our roofs leak!
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I've got a combination of Eternabond and Koolseal as well. So far so good.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R