1987 34W - reRubber Cool White Roof Coat Project

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: 1987 34W - reRubber Cool White Roof Coat Project

Post by KYAvion »

I agree that the white coating helps with temps. I did the white Koolseal on mine when I first got it and I noticed an immediate difference.

The Koolseal feels hard when it dries. Does the reRubber maintain more of a rubbery feel?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

It is rubbery. When I get home, I will show you what I peeled out of the painter’s tray. I think the flexibility of the primer and top coat along with the reflectivity (besides being white, it has microscopic glass spheres in the top coat), will make it an outstanding product.

Another use for the Primer: add some sand to it, brush it on the folding steps or any other steps you’d like. No problem with slipping. You could easily tape it off to end up looking like that non-skid adhesive tape.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Meant to add in the previous picture-filled post: To make a nice but not too visible front and rear edge, I used the painter's tape to make a straight edge diagonally from the drip rail on each side to the rivet lines that go vertically from the top of the front and rear windows. I decided that point would be just below the 12th rivet as counted up from the top of the window frame. Then ran a straight length of tape from those two rivets horizontally across the front and rear of the trailer. I thought that made the maximum coverage without coming down too far on the front and rear of the trailer.

(Hopefully, between my attempt to describe it along with the pictures, you can see what I did. This was on a 1987 34W. Yours might vary, but maybe I give you a good guide?)
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Salty

Post by Salty »

I like what you've done and will likely do the same on mine in the very near future. Awaiting the results of the Pre Departure inspection to see what needs to be needs to addressed on the trailer and prioritize from there.

EDIT:
Question: Cost? How much primer and top coat was required?
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Salty wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:31 pm I like what you've done and will likely do the same on mine in the very near future. Awaiting the results of the Pre Departure inspection to see what needs to be needs to addressed on the trailer and prioritize from there.

EDIT:
Question: Cost? How much primer and top coat was required?
I am still waiting for quotable pricing from reRubber..... should be soon. However, I CAN obviously tell you that I got good results with a gallon of the primer and a gallon and a half of the top coat (I had purchased two gallons of each, but I think I got a special price from them.) The guy that I have been working with at reRubber is working as we speak to lower the costs of their products (but not CHANGE the product.......when's the last time you heard THAT!?!? He obviously knows his competition, so I would expect competitive pricing.)
(Adding an edit here with pricing info: $55/gallon for each product, plus actual shipping charge via UPS Ground from zip code 72712)
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Here are a couple of pieces of cured Rubberized Primer and a small piece of the Top Coat. They are pliable, and seem to bend without cracking.

These are leftovers that came out of the painter’s tray that I was using.
Attachments
IMG_3089.JPG
IMG_3089.JPG (52.87 KiB) Viewed 41573 times
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Based on the pics, ReRubber seems to be a fitting name. Looks great!
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

OK, got the pricing, AND I have decided to take reRubber up on being a distributor for their products! I am the farthest thing from a salesman and already have a job, but from the experience I have had with the roof coating that I did on our Avion, I would be glad to do it. Gotta figure out how to quote the shipping costs, but that will be soon.

For the Rubberized Primer: $55/gallon pail, $256/5 gallon pail, plus shipping
For the Cool Top Coat: $55/gallon pail, $266/5 gallon pail, plus shipping

To give you an idea, I ordered 2 gallons each of the Rubberized Primer and Cool Top Coat to cover our 34' Avion's roof and had about a half gallon of each left. The shipping to me (Bentonville, AR) from the Los Angeles area was $57. I don't know about anyone else, but that was well worth the results that I have seen.

55-gallon drums and 280-gallon totes are available for bigger jobs.

I am thinking of contacting a local RV repair shop (Hoss's RV Repair and Restoration) to see if they would like to see my Avion's roof. I know that not everyone likes the white roof, but anyone who has spent some time in a hot Airstream might be interested in getting their roof done. An Avion has soooo much better insulation, but it will still benefit from a quality white roof. And, this stuff could go over an existing rubber-membrane RV roof to make it last much longer.

We'll see where it goes, but I can think of a LOT of applications for their products that will make stuff last longer.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Nice job!
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Got up to 91 here today, and clear as a bell. Wife and I must have gone out to the Avion at least 3 times just to see how much cooler than “normal” it is.

Very noticeable.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W