Condensation created by propane heaters.

Tips and tricks for cold weather use of your Avion
slowmover

Re: Condensation created by propane heaters.

Post by slowmover »

KYAvion wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:32 pm Slowmover—great idea about ordering storm windows. Would those seal differently than homemade ones fabricated out of plexi or lexan that fasten to the inside wall?
See pellandent.

Looks like one could fabricate. Came a across a thread years ago on RV.net that really was good. Specifics. Lexan vs polycarbonate, etc.

Big problem with any of them is storage. I’ve figured where to erect cabinetry both front and rear.

Need to do wheel-by-wheel weighing of the TT once some other things done. If trailer pulls one direction due to extra weight (they do ) then I’d want that to be towards the curb.
Last edited by slowmover on Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1990 35’ Silver Streak Sterling
slowmover

Post by slowmover »

Salty, I’d also appreciate some well-lit pics. Open, installed, s-window by itself.

1). Was storage aboard trailer provided?

2). How many windows on your trailer?

3). How many different sizes?

4). S-windows for each one? (Installation pieces present even of that window isn’t).

Thanks for your consideration & time.
slowmover

Post by slowmover »

Salty wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:03 am The insulating air gap is only the depth of the window. The glass and seal fit up against the window Fram on the inside.
@razorback
I'll try to get some pics.
Windows need a variety of solutions. Twin agendas: Light & Heat

A). Original owner to mine ordered Day/Night shades. Recommended.
slowmover

Post by slowmover »

B). He & wife also ordered half-curtains that are gathered at corners. Velcro atop. Pro made. This cuts light from edges. They touch wall. Works well.

C). The only mini-blinds are kitchen & bath.

Heat:

1). There’s NO reason one can’t have triple glaze. HEHER plus a DIY overlay. In hottest summer & coldest winter I only have a few windows NOT covered from 2-3 4’ rolls of REFLECTIX. Press-fit. Great stuff. (I leave bedroom dark year-round. Being by myself it works well enough. Plus this is a noisy spot. If I can ever retire, that would change).

2). Having options is the thing, IMO. With the Reflectix I use a cheap charcoal fabric to cover outside surface. From even one foot away outdoors it just makes windows look blank.

3). Next step is some perforated film. VVIVID @ Amazon. (Trying it first on Peterbilt sleeper windows). Black side to exterior. Cut radiation entering and adds privacy. With Day/Night shades I’m covered as to degree of privacy wanted.

To go back to original topic of condensation, windows are the biggest headache & expense. But provide the fastest relief.

The “next” step would be making close-fit quilted covers.

The Reflectix & q-covers can be rolled for storage. The R can be quite bulky. Need luggage straps. A drawstring bag to drop both those types into would be best.

Where to store complete custom trailer skirting is a question of mine. What dimensions needed.

Floors & windows.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Slowmover—would you mind taking pics of your curtains? Also, did you cut your Reflectix to fit tight inside the frame and against the window? I did mine that way, but later read a post that said Reflectix indicated to leave a space due to possible glass breakage. I’ve had no problems, but I’ve only used the Reflectix in the winter.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

slowmover wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:07 pm Salty, I’d also appreciate some well-lit pics. Open, installed, s-window by itself.

1). Was storage aboard trailer provided?

2). How many windows on your trailer?

3). How many different sizes?

4). S-windows for each one? (Installation pieces present even of that window isn’t).

Thanks for your consideration & time.
Considering that it’s getting to be that time of year again.....
Any chance of posting some pics of the storm windows?
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Salty

Post by Salty »

For your viewing pleasure
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG
The Glass is easy to have made. The seal is easy to find.
The plastic channel that forms the retainer that attaches to the window frame, that is a bear to find. Not all of my storm windows are present. If I could find the plastic channel, I'd. Replace the missing windows.

Up front on the curved windows, it's just plastic, maybe a 16th thick.

This window here sits in the front upper window, above the screen.
DSC_0007.JPG
Edit:

For reference, all of the storm glass has the Hehr safety glass logo on them.
Last edited by Salty on Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Salty

Post by Salty »

If there are more, I don't have them. I wish I knew what the full kit consisted of.
When I asked Chuck Cayo about them, he said it took two strong lads to hoist the crate the windows came in and also that it changed the way the trailer towed. He gave me the impression that it was an undesired option.
Based on the fact that one of my curved windows is not original, I suspect that there was an event that destroyed some of the glass and I'll speculate that some/many of the winter storms were sacrificed in that event.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Salty

Post by Salty »

It's difficult to get a good pic of this plastic channel, but here it is :
DSC_0011.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG
DSC_0009.JPG
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Thank you for that information and the pictures.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???