New Avion owner

Pics of your Silver Avion trailer
Salty

New Avion owner

Post by Salty »

It's official, I am now a bonafide Avion owner. I snapped a bunch of pics, and they aren't small. It's a 34V
below is a link to my media fire page. Please look and share your thoughts on the trailer. I stole it @ $7500

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/6dkq1tl ... _Avion_34V
DSC_0011.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG (48.93 KiB) Viewed 5343 times
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Razorback

Re: New Avion owner

Post by Razorback »

Congratulations, Salty! Looks like a n Avion to be proud of! Thank you for sharing those pictures.

The adventure begins!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Looks great. Congrats!
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Salty

Post by Salty »

I think I'm rather fortunate. Is it mint? No, but then if it was mint, I wouldn't get to do it my way. It is in great condition and I'm satisfied. No leaks, needs a bit of cleaning (something rather sticky on the ceilings) no Dinette cushions and could use some decor updating/refreshing.
First order of business is to get the bearings repacked. I have contracted someone to drive it down to Houston the end of this week.
Following are some ideas and I am open to suggestions (read,please give me your suggestions and comments on my ideas) my ideas here are in no particular order, really
1. Have it polished , thinking about getting it clear coated.
2. Window rubbers around the outside of the windows have begun to contract . I reseated a couple while I was looking at it. They aren't rotted, just shrunk a bit. I believe I can heat them up with a blow drier and get them back in their proper channels or replace
3.The Blue belt around the outside is showing some scratches and gouges. Replace
4. Those two granny chairs have to go. RecPro recliner

https://www.amazon.com/RecPro-Charles-D ... 421YB4R8FQ

5. One of the covers at the rear drivers side has a rotted wooden core. Replace the core.
6. Sheet metal behind the wheels on drivers side has been damaged by a blowout. Replace
7. Carpet has to go. Click flooring to replace
8. Double bed/dresser installed in place of the two twins
Dinette table. Thinking about replacing that with a piece of teak.
9. Solar panels Thinking 600 watts.
10. Sheet metal in front of the wheels passenger side damaged - repair.
11. Toilet - High profile toilet (I'm tall)
12 LED lighting , interior/exterior
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I removed all the carpet in my previous trailer, but I've left it in my Avion so far. The center of the trailer is the kitchen, which is all wood flooring. The front living area and rear bedroom and hall are carpet. While personally I am not a fan of carpet in general, I have to admit that it makes the trailer seem more comfortable.

As far as clear coating, check out Everbrite.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Erehtuo

Post by Erehtuo »

Congrats on your purchase!

I’m curious to see how you fix the sheetmetal damage around the wheels and what is involved with that.
Salty

Post by Salty »

I work in the fabrication industry. four things need to be done to accomplish this.
Source the material - Anodized aluminum might be a bit difficult to come by. Fortunately, aluminum is cheap at the moment (As opposed to Stainless)
remove and/or measure the existing panels and create a cad file.
Create a CNC file from the cad drawing - from there either plasma cut (cheaper) or waterjet cut (More precise) the resultant file.
Final fit - drill any additional holes, add latches, rivet in place. not necessarily in that order.

option:
Hammer, dolly

extreme option: cut and mig weld in a patch panel, though I'm not sure how well Anodized aluminum welds up. I think wire choice here will be critical, consult ALCOTEC.

EDIT: looks like AA6061 would likely be the grade of aluminum used (Magnesium/silicon alloy). Getting it anodized o or purchasing it anodized might be difficult. Still looking.......
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Salty

Post by Salty »

The 34V is enroute from Virginia as we speak. ETA is Sunday AM.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Overdrive

Post by Overdrive »

Congrats man.

I love my 34XB. Not only because it was my uncles so the emotional attachment but it’s built like a brick crap house.
Salty

Post by Salty »

ELVIS HAS ENTERED THE BUILDING!!
The 34V arrived early - this evening as a matter of fact. Intact, though it looks like there were some rough spots along the way. Spending the weekend doing house keeping chores.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250