Alignment 1989 34XB info needed

Axles and Suspension Systems, Brakes, Brake Controllers, Wheels, Tires
ericlarson

Alignment 1989 34XB info needed

Post by ericlarson »

I purchased my XB last Fall am the 3rd owner. I recently towed from SoCal to The Florida Keys. Before I left I installed 6 new tires and a TPMS system. I had all the tires inflated properly and since I towed with no water in any of the tanks I doubt I was overloaded.
To my horror, on my return home (about 4000 miles) on the new tires the front passenger tire and the rear driver tire were almost worn through on the inside. I had to stop in El Paso and get two new tires. BTW the Discount Tire Store was right off the interstate and had a huge parking area that allowed me to maneuver. They were even set up for me to back up my trailer to the rear of the shop and take care of me in short order. I highly recommend this to anyone traveling on I-10 through El Paso, Texas.
Back to my story. I am safely home in SoCal now. I have a strong hunch that I need to get my axles aligned. The trouble is that I can not find any shop to perform the alignment on my coach. I have called over 30 different RV repair shops and even Camping World. I have found some that do work on suspensions with leaf springs but no one that does alignment on torsion axles (rubber insert). I believe my rig has 3500# AL-KO axles.
Does anyone have any experience with having alignment work done on such axles? I am willing to drive as far as 800 miles if I can get the work done properly by someone that has experience with an Avion like mine.
Attachments
Fiesta Key RV Resort
Fiesta Key RV Resort
750_7107.jpg (100.51 KiB) Viewed 30638 times
John Prince Campground Lake Worth, FL
John Prince Campground Lake Worth, FL
JPCamp#3.jpg (31.12 KiB) Viewed 30638 times
Ridgeview Resort Bullhead City, AZ
Ridgeview Resort Bullhead City, AZ
750_7492.jpg (74.22 KiB) Viewed 30638 times
Razorback

Re: Alignment 1989 34XB info needed

Post by Razorback »

I'll admit that I have no experience with those axles, but I am wondering....... could those inner rubber dampers be so worn out that the alignment is affected?

Otherwise, the 1989 brochure points to the spindle and says, "Automotive Alignment Technology".

Is there a bearing where the arm pivots on the bracket that is attached to the frame?
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

If the torsion axles are similar to the ones I replaced on my prior Airstream, there doesn't appear to be any obvious adjustments that can be made. I hate to say this, but I'd post something over at Airforums. Better yet, call Andy at Inland RV in CA. If you do this, please let us know what you find out.

In the meantime, what sort of angle do your torsion arms have?

http://www.airstreamcentral.com/article ... Page1.html

At 19 years old, there's a good likelihood that the rubber rods are shot. Installing new torsion axles isn't hard, but if spending the money I'd recommend considering a MorRyde suspension.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I like that MorRyde suspension. x2 on that if you are going to spend money. I think that is the best suspension Avion ever used (although today's is the same but different!.... even better today, IMHO)
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

I’m not surprised you couldn’t find an rv shop to do it. They are mainly parts changers and have no capability to do any alignment work.

Torsion spring suspension is widely used on heavy duty utility and flat bed trailers. I suggest you look for a dealer or repair shop that specializes in those suspension systems.

It is important to have the specs for them to use.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
ericlarson

Post by ericlarson »

Thanks for the feedback.
While on the way home earlier this month I stopped in Kerrville, Texas. I spoke with David at LeMilleur's there (830) 895-2888. He was knowledgeable and I wish I had been able to get the work done there as he was able and willing but booked up and I had a schedule to keep. He told me to contact Inland RV. When I got home Inland RV was one of the first places I contacted. Not sure who I spoke with. They told me that they could supply replacement axles but they did not do alignment. I have also contacted many (over 20) shops in and around San Bernardino and Riverside. No luck yet. Today I was able to get a positive sign from an Airstream dealer in Orange County. I spoke with a service writer named Ricky that told me they can do the work. Diagnosis would be about $500...Yikes! If axles need replacing it will run about $2300.00 per axle (ballpark). More YIKES! With those prices quoted if I continue to strike out here I will likely drive the 1300 miles back to Kerrvile, Texas and have the work done there.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Those are some ridiculous prices. In May 2016 I paid $1415 for TWO torsion axles delivered.

I am surprised Inland RV didn't have more to say. Andy is considered THE guru when it comes to Airstream trailers. You might try there again and ask specifically for Andy.

I'd really recommend jacking up each side of the trailer to observe how much the torsion arms drop, if at all. Also look at the angle of the arm when weighted (see article in my first reply). There's a good chance that alignment isn't so much the issue, but instead the axles need replaced.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
ericlarson

Post by ericlarson »

I finally have some progress. Instead of making calls I set out to visit in person some local places that others recommended but were a bust over the phone. My first stop was at Pruitt's Alignment that is less than 2 miles from where I live. I spoke with the owner. He confirmed that they used to deal with travel trailers and gave it up. The reason was because the quality of the materials used in construction was so poor he found himself redoing alignments again and again as the axles re-bent after straightening. In talking to him I showed him photos of my trailer as well as a flyer that I have from the AL-KO company describing their axles. He was impressed that I did my homework and agreed to work on the trailer. He has the room and equipment and Tuesday I take it in for them to assess where the trouble lies. If I need new axles he said he isn't opposed to my ordering them to be delivered to his shop or my home and then I can bring them over. Now I need to find a source for replacement axles. I am not sure that AL-KO still sells or supplies such axles and may need to contact Dexter. Does anyone have any experience replacing their AL-KO axles?
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Awesome!!! Glad to hear you got a local shop to help you!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I think you're right about AL-KO. However, you might try Colin Hyde. He can be hard to reach, but that's who I got mine from for my previous trailer. Aside from having to enlarge the notches in the trailer mounting plates to accommodate the slightly larger axle tube of the new axles (picture an inverted "U" in a vertical metal plate), installation is simply a bolt on procedure. Did it all in my driveway.

http://www.colinhydetrailerrestorations.com
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R