Generator on bumper

110 volt, 12 volt, Batteries, Converters and Inverters, Solar
KYAvion
Site Admin

Generator on bumper

Post by KYAvion »

So I saw a 1989 28A for sale on FB that has an Onan generator installed on the bumper. Just thought I'd share a couple pics of the setup.
IMG_2815.PNG
IMG_2815.PNG (140.92 KiB) Viewed 1175 times
IMG_2816.PNG
IMG_2816.PNG (155.5 KiB) Viewed 1175 times
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Re: Generator on bumper

Post by Razorback »

I am not a big fan of adding weight to the rear bumper of a trailer.
It doesn't take much to create sway problems unless you pay attention to loading and weight distribution.

Considering that the air conditioner can be the biggest power hog, I would opt for maybe a 3K generator (not on the rear bumper) and an Easy Start add-on to the air conditioner.

When we got our Avion in 2013, it had a platform/extension like the one you pictured. I have no idea what kind of generator setup a previous owner had.... it must have been impressive, but what remained was very ugly. I left it as-is for a couple of outings, thinking I might find a good use for it. It didn't take long, though....... got the Sawz-All out and lopped that sucker off!
DSCF4282.JPG
DSCF4282.JPG (37.18 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
DSCF4788.JPG
DSCF4788.JPG (30.33 KiB) Viewed 1155 times
Like everything..... to each his own. But I think those modifications make a beautiful Avion look bad.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I agree it doesn't look the best, but I thought they did a better job than some other mods I've seen. My concern is the added weight would add stress on the frame and lead to possible shell/frame separation. I know Avion's aren't suppose to be prone to separation like an Airstream, but there are cases of Avion front end separation from towing with too stiff of a tow vehicle. Maybes the dynamics are different though, but it still makes me cautious to even put a tire mount back there (a big no-no with an Airstream).
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Maybe the shelf was used for mother-in-law quarters.

When I was rebuilding the floor and cross-members on our trailer, I recall seeing the frame stubs supporting the bumpers seam-welded onto the main frame. Whether this weldment is as strong as the main frame is a matter of debate.

I was thinking about fabricating a support bracket between the bumper frame stubs. The bracket would be used to attach a receiver-type bike rack. A variant is available through eTrailer but it is too pricey for my liking. Again, I have to keep my eye on weight distribution.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P