Tow vehicles

Towing Rigs, Hitches, Weight Distribution, Sway Control
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Tow vehicles

Post by KYAvion »

How have the Ecoboosts faired in terms of reliability? Say once they are approaching or past the 100,000 mile mark?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

KYAvion wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:33 am How have the Ecoboosts faired in terms of reliability? Say once they are approaching or past the 100,000 mile mark?
That's an interesting question. It was a love-hate relationship among owners, particularly prior to 2017. Those that followed recommended maintenance gave them rave reviews. Those that didn't complained bitterly or became part of a class-action law suit.

Ford did a complete re-design of the V-6 Eco-boost engines beginning in 2017; aka 2nd generation. It included strengthening the areas that were vulnerable to long-term durability concerns.

As a retired Ford engine design engineer, I went through a lot of angst when ordering my 2018 F-150. I wanted the max tow package because it gave me bundled upgrades in areas like engine cooling, suspension and towing features. But the max tow package required the 3.5L Eco-boost engine, not the V-8.

I am comfortable with the changes Ford made to the Eco-boost engine family in 2017. The biggest adjustment was the 10-speed transmission. Frankly, an 8-speed transmission would have worked just fine. I attribute the 10-speed to a marketing tool. I get my best performance and fuel economy in 8th gear.

I'm not sure this diatribe answers your question. I have 30K miles on my truck and the power-train function more than meets my expectations. I should mention my truck has the 3.55 rear axle ratio which is standard with the max tow package. This engine-trans-axle combo has tremendous power for its size and gear set-up.

As I said earlier, I would not consider anything earlier than 2018, mainly for the reasons mentioned.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Thanks for the thorough explanation! I was just browsing some vehicles in FB marketplace and and some popped up. I really appreciate the insight about pre-2018 years!
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

KYAvion wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:57 pm Thanks for the thorough explanation! I was just browsing some vehicles in FB marketplace and and some popped up. I really appreciate the insight about pre-2018 years!
I've read many stories of people who have high mileage and no issues with the pre-2017 3.5LEB engines. I suspect these are original owners who have done their due diligence on vehicle maintenance.In Michigan, leasing trumps ownership. Who knows if they ever did as much as change the oil in the 2-3 years of use?

I'm banking on the fact that Ford got schooled when it became an urgency to fix some of the earlier durability issues. The F-150 is a huge profit center for them. They could not afford to put another potential turd on the street. Certainly durability issues could arise from a lack of care. My sense is the re-design made the engine more tolerant to stupidity in use.

Lastly, you will likely find little max tow packages offered on new and used car lots. These packages provide upgraded cooling components for the engine and transmission, as well as some suspension tweaks. I've always been over-kill on cooling because engine overheating is its death knell under heavy and sustained towing conditions.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Thanks Silverloaf!
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
slowmover

Post by slowmover »

silverloaf wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:38 pm
KYAvion wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:57 pm Thanks for the thorough explanation! I was just browsing some vehicles in FB marketplace and and some popped up. I really appreciate the insight about pre-2018 years!
I've read many stories of people who have high mileage and no issues with the pre-2017 3.5LEB engines. I suspect these are original owners who have done their due diligence on vehicle maintenance.In Michigan, leasing trumps ownership. Who knows if they ever did as much as change the oil in the 2-3 years of use?

I'm banking on the fact that Ford got schooled when it became an urgency to fix some of the earlier durability issues. The F-150 is a huge profit center for them. They could not afford to put another potential turd on the street. Certainly durability issues could arise from a lack of care. My sense is the re-design made the engine more tolerant to stupidity in use.

Lastly, you will likely find little max tow packages offered on new and used car lots. These packages provide upgraded cooling components for the engine and transmission, as well as some suspension tweaks. I've always been over-kill on cooling because engine overheating is its death knell under heavy and sustained towing conditions.
All the more reason to avoid turbo’d gas-motors.
The little Ford V8 is a better tow engine.
And it doesn’t lack for gears to keep things spot-on.

1990 35’ Silver Streak Sterling
slowmover

Post by slowmover »

Kirkus wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:55 am Im really torn between another Max Tow F150, and a total overkill F250 diesel.
What’s the weight difference between the adjusted-empty and loaded-for-camping (with passengers, max fuel and not hitched)?

At or near about 50/50 FF/RR weight balance before hitching?

What’s a better tow vehicle? My 20,000-lb 579 Peterbilt? The Pete will roll over in an instant. A tow vehicle less stable than the TT makes no sense.

What load the TV carries daily is the spec that matters.

slowmover

Post by slowmover »

pbsled wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:34 pm That is really good. I am 9.5-10.8 with a 2017 6.2 F250, and ran 14-16 with a 2015 6.7 Cummins (stock) on the same camper. For reference with our 90’ 1500 suburban with 2WD and the same trailer got 10-12 towing.
What’s the fuel mileage of the TV with same load at same speed otherwise? All else the same except without trailer.

HP Demand to tow one of these is less than most of you believe. Assuming you ever considered it’s importance and sought understanding.

It’s not the weight, but the aero resistance which matters.

A live-axle tow vehicle won’t keep the tires on the ground when it matters.

The very least due diligence is a rear axle loading which doesn’t also compromise WDH settings.

slowmover

Post by slowmover »

silverloaf wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:32 pm
KYAvion wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:33 am How have the Ecoboosts faired in terms of reliability? Say once they are approaching or past the 100,000 mile mark?
That's an interesting question. It was a love-hate relationship among owners, particularly prior to 2017. Those that followed recommended maintenance gave them rave reviews. Those that didn't complained bitterly or became part of a class-action law suit.

Ford did a complete re-design of the V-6 Eco-boost engines beginning in 2017; aka 2nd generation. It included strengthening the areas that were vulnerable to long-term durability concerns.

As a retired Ford engine design engineer, I went through a lot of angst when ordering my 2018 F-150. I wanted the max tow package because it gave me bundled upgrades in areas like engine cooling, suspension and towing features. But the max tow package required the 3.5L Eco-boost engine, not the V-8.

I am comfortable with the changes Ford made to the Eco-boost engine family in 2017. The biggest adjustment was the 10-speed transmission. Frankly, an 8-speed transmission would have worked just fine. I attribute the 10-speed to a marketing tool. I get my best performance and fuel economy in 8th gear.

I'm not sure this diatribe answers your question. I have 30K miles on my truck and the power-train function more than meets my expectations. I should mention my truck has the 3.55 rear axle ratio which is standard with the max tow package. This engine-trans-axle combo has tremendous power for its size and gear set-up.

As I said earlier, I would not consider anything earlier than 2018, mainly for the reasons mentioned.

1). 200-HP + 300-TQ with EFI and 3+1 trans is twenty years in the past. Power Demand ceased as a question.

2). Same with 4-whl disc brakes killing that topic once made universal

3). What remains is fully-independent suspension + rack & pinion steering as missing design components.

4). Low Center-of-Gravity + Short Rear Overhang have never ceded place as fundamentals.

Towing Dynamics, are all that matter. Job One.

- Steering (WDH settings)
- Handling (rig needs Hensley-patent hitch)
- Braking (trailers need antilock disc)

Are all that are left (past tire selection both vehicles).

In all instances encountered on-road, remain upright & lane-centered.

Justify the compromises.

Where are the tests of each?
What are the rig limits?
What are yours?

Every bit of it right up a familiar alley for an engineer.
None of it rocket science.
Test.

Salty

Post by Salty »

Ford F250 7.3L diesel
ff250..jpg
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.