Tow vehicles

Towing Rigs, Hitches, Weight Distribution, Sway Control
pbsled

Re: Tow vehicles

Post by pbsled »

That is really good. I am 9.5-10.8 with a 2017 6.2 F250, and ran 14-16 with a 2015 6.7 Cummins (stock) on the same camper. For reference with our 90’ 1500 suburban with 2WD and the same trailer got 10-12 towing.
PbSled
"Mr. Eternabond"
1990 30P
2017 F-250 Reg. Cab
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Kirkus wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:50 pm
KYAvion wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:20 pm What sort of mpg are you getting pulling your 30p?
13 or 14 ish
Kirkus,

I'm glad there is someone other than me using a properly-equipped F-150 to pull a 30P. My 2018 F-150 is like yours but has the 2nd gen 3.5L Ecoboost engine with 10 speed transmission.

A recent pull from Michigan to Georgia garnered fuel economy of 12.5-13.5. That was down I-75 which has lots of hilly and mountainous terrain.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
pbsled

Post by pbsled »

I researched a lot of options, and the F150 with Eco was my second choice. It is a great right-sized vehicle for this camper. If I could get that in a regular cab and 8ft bed I would have, but I think Max Tow was optioned only with crew cab in 2017. Budget and my need for a shorter 4x4 wheelbase and 8’ bed were my deciding factors. I got a deal on an SD XLT misconfigured plow truck that was missing up-fitter switches. I don’t pass many gas stations, but it was cheapish (32k new).
PbSled
"Mr. Eternabond"
1990 30P
2017 F-250 Reg. Cab
slowmover

Post by slowmover »

Dode wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:07 am Hi I'm new here. When I hook up my truck is going to be 500 to 600 lbs overweight. What do you guys think? Should I be concerned? Thanks...Al
You’ll ONLY be overweight if you exceed the axle/wheel/tire limits.
Not otherwise.

Proper use of a WD hitch takes care of most problems.
Even when the worst-design tow vehicle is chosen (pickup truck).

Best tow vehicle is the one which BEST fits solo duty. The family car, so to speak. Can carry everyone. Hitching a trailer generally means more attention to the options list.

The order of priority for safety is:

1). Steering accuracy
2). Braking
3). General handling

The short version is a vehicle with low center of gravity, fully independent suspension and short rear overhang.

A pickup is none of these. In fact, it’s likely the initiator of a loss-of-control accident. Not the trailer.

The comics like to claim “driving skill” as defense, which is why the laughter greeting that is so loud.

Mario Andretti couldn’t correct from a rear-axle sideways slide.

Stability is by vehicle design, and by hitch rigging (design & application).

1). Take the tow vehicle to the local truck stop with a Cat Scale (phone app with locator).

2). Vehicle should be empty except that which won’t ever be removed until the day of its sale.

3). Top off fuel.

4). The scale values will show the adjusted empty weight. TARE. The shipping weight published means nothing.

5). Take a pic of the scale ticket. Take another pic of the door sticker axle limit chart. The difference between TARE and Limit is “where” the WD does it’s magic. Which is nothing more than leverage.

6). This is also — the Cat ticket — the proof for proper tire pressure. The cold adjustment should reflect the tire manufacturers Load & Pressure Table without being outside the VEHICLE manufacturers upper & lower limits. Get it closest.

1990 35’ Silver Streak Sterling
slowmover

Post by slowmover »

If you guy said want to compare MPG, try for accuracy:

1). Exact vehicle spec

2). Climate

3). Terrain

4). Driver motivation

The correction factor between solo & towing is 40%. Thats, solo loaded as if for camping with passenger weight substitutes just not hitched. 58/9-mph 100-miles our from a service station where you FIRST covered 50-miles to accomplish warm-up. Topped the tank to first AUTO shutoff.

Interstate to an isolated turnaround. Back the same way.

Constant use of cruise control. Never off.

Brakes never used except exiting

Top off again at same pump same way.

— Below 60 defeats aero resistance (false reading)
— Cruise control means no variance against any future test or other driver
— Mild conditions simulates vacation travel.

Get the Solo, Loaded scale value with the Three Pass Scale Method (how to finalize hitch setting)

1). Cross scale, trailer hitched. Full fresh water & propane. Both vehicles with all passengers and loaded for camping. Fuel topper just prior.

2). Second pass. Take all tension from hitch bars. No other changes.

3). Third pass. Drop trailer and cross scale solo.

(The short version of correct hitch rigging is that the Steer Axle value is the same in 1 & 3).

The scale value of #3 is the target for the MPG BASELINE test.

That baseline MPG is part and parcel of diagnosing a whole host of drivability problems. Can’t be done without it. If fuel burn goes up by 10%, something is off somewhere.

I’d recommend 62-mph as best travel speed. Do the test at that if you want, but one gives up “what is possible” in MPG considerations.

Solo, loaded, at 62. Hitched, at 62. If it’s off by more than 40% there’s one or more problems to address. That’s not about $, but rectifying safety-related problems.

It’s possible to get the spread lower than 40%, by the way. Same vehicles. Maybe not by much, but consider it good faith.

Nearly every one of you (probably all) will find that too many steering corrections due to TV gear slop and incorrect hitch rigging will close the gap. I’ll be surprised any of you aren’t at 40% but higher.

The ONLY difference between solo & hitched is the trailer aero penalty. At highway cruise, the so-called weight penalty is almost nil.

You’ll also want to test braking distance when you acquire the Three Pass. Hard emergency stop from 60-mph when hitched. Measured distance.

FIX the problems and the hitched rig will stop faster than the Solo, Loaded test done another time.

MPG is an indicator of vehicle health.

1990 35’ Silver Streak Sterling
Kirkus

Post by Kirkus »

Im really torn between another Max Tow F150, and a total overkill F250 diesel.
1967 Airstream Globetrotter (sold)
1976 Revcon Motorhome (sold)
1964 Avion Holiday (sold)
1989 Avion 30P
2011 Ford F-150 MAX TOW Ecoboost

https://www.youtube.com/user/kirkolmsted
https://www.kirkusblog.com
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Kirkus wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:55 am Im really torn between another Max Tow F150, and a total overkill F250 diesel.
I have always preferred the F250 route....
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
RISK

Post by RISK »

Oh how I wish Toyota made a 3/4 ton...

I’ve done a lot of car and truck commercials and out of all the big trucks I’ve shot (Ford, Ram, Chevy, GMC) I think I’d lean towards the Ram. I’m not trying to pick any fights, but I just think they’re smartly designed and don’t have all the bells and whistles that I really don’t want. Of course I don’t think there is a better big truck then fords golden years in the 90’s...

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

We are still allowed to dream about an HD Tundra, right? If they put the 5.7 V8 in this truck and maybe an 8 speed auto, dream truck for towing!
Attachments
Tundra.jpg
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Kirkus wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:55 am Im really torn between another Max Tow F150, and a total overkill F250 diesel.
It really depends if you plan on using your tow vehicle as a daily driver or tow-specific. My 2011 Super Duty with 6.2L engine was great for towing but poor fuel economy as a daily driver. I couldn't justify the upgrade to a diesel unless I was going to pull full time or I was into serious bragging rights. Maintenance costs are significantly higher than gas engine.

My 2018 F-150 with max tow has been a great crossover truck. I have not had the opportunity to tow our trailer as often as we like. But it's got the capability when we do.

If you are looking at used, I suggest you stick with 2018 or newer model. Ford redesigned the 3.5L turbo engine in 2017. The 10-speed transmission had some shift quality issues when 1st offered in 2017. Ford got them worked out in 2018.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P