Off-grid/Apartment style Range

Water Heaters, Furnaces, Air Conditioners, Refrigerators, Ranges
quartzsitebruce

Off-grid/Apartment style Range

Post by quartzsitebruce »

I need to install a new range into my 34V Avion. At first I was just going to put in a propane cooktop with a convection microwave oven. Then I got to thinking, what if I'm boondocking or do not have Shore power, and I wanted to bake something in the oven and I couldn't, unless I used a match or fire stick to light the oven, or the burners on the stove, for that matter. I started looking around for a stove and oven combination. I came across several different styles of Apartment 4 burner stoves with Ovens that can be converted to propane. Then I discovered off grid propane stoves that do not require electricity but have direct spark ignition using AAA or 9V batteries. Have any of you had experiences with these ranges? I like the idea of this type of range because the oven is bigger and there is a broiler that can be used also. Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts and ideas.
Proud owner of a 1987 34V, towed by a 2015 Chevy 2500HD Extra cab. Some work to "make it my own", but up for the challenges!
Razorback

Re: Off-grid/Apartment style Range

Post by Razorback »

I had never really considered those stoves, but after a quick web search to see what you were looking at, my first thought was, “That is what they used to use in travel trailers.” The first picture that popped into my head was an old Spartan....(I love Spartans! One of the few "other trailers" that I would like to own!)..... I have seen lots of those with that type of smaller, apartment-sized stoves in them. They probably didn’t have the spark ignition, but were basically the same.
5598764174_12392d98aa.jpg
5598764174_12392d98aa.jpg (25.28 KiB) Viewed 2206 times
Not sure when or why the switch was made to the built-in stoves and cooktops, but I like the idea of what you are doing. My main concern would be to make sure it was anchored well to go bouncing down the road, but other than that.... looks good to me!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
quartzsitebruce

Just ordered a 20in apartment-style gas range from Best Buy last Saturday. It will be easy to convert it to propane, with the included kit. It has a battery powered igniter for the burners and oven so if I am without shore power the burners and oven can still be lit electronically. I am having it delivered to the store just in case there is any damage. They will be responsible for returning it and making it right. Besides the shipping was free to the store. Otherwise it would have cost at least $75 to have it shipped to my place. They have a price match guarantee. I had found it cheaper at Home Depot. But when the salesman found out the price on the Home Depot site it was even cheaper, so I saved a little over a hundred and eighty dollars. Total cost is less than $500.00 even with an extended warranty. I think it is a better deal than buying an RV range with oven. This is a four burner stove that puts out about 9100 BTUs each, and the oven is definitely bigger than an RV oven. I am redesigning the base cabinets that needed to be replaced anyway. I will be using cabinets from Ikea. Will try to submit photos when I get it finished. Still a lot of work to do because I have to rip up the poor quality laminate and linoleum before I install the base cabinets.
Proud owner of a 1987 34V, towed by a 2015 Chevy 2500HD Extra cab. Some work to "make it my own", but up for the challenges!
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Sounds great. Look forward to seeing pics. I would do something similar, but my plumbing runs in the cabinet below the range, so a freestanding range is out unless there's a bottom drawer with enough access.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Looking forward to seeing the progress.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
quartzsitebruce

I have decided against installing the apartment Style gas range in my trailer. There are two reasons for this decision:
1. I was buying it through Best Buy, and received notification that the range may not come in until May 21. It is already two weeks overdue. So I went ahead and cancelled the order today.
2. I was a little concerned about venting for the furnace. The previous owner had removed the original base kitchen cabinet - not sure why - but when they did this and put in a cheap household kitchen cabinet base they removed the plenum and ductwork for the furnace and closed off the sheet metal at the pantry cabinet. By using the apartment range I would have had to find a way to reroute the furnace ductwork. I was afraid there would not be enough room either behind the range or underneath to effectively route the ductwork. So, I am looking at putting in a high-end RV range and oven, so I can route the ductwork as close to the original locations as possible.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Things work out for a reason! Now I’m glad that you had time to come to that conclusion without getting stuck with a product you didn’t want.

Have you had time to research the RV ovens to make a decision there? (Curious, in case I need to do that some day. Not impressed with the quality of the “typical” replacements.)
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
quartzsitebruce

Not yet. Guess I need to start over... thought I had "perfect" solution. LOL. Will post when I find what I am looking for. Al Luminum is helping.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Those look really nice! Probably better quality than today's RV stoves, since the'd be on a boat?

A little pricey, but if they are worth it, I would get one!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W