Gary in Vegas - 2008 Tahoe Hybrid

Towing Rigs, Hitches, Weight Distribution, Sway Control
Gary Potter

Re: Gary in Vegas

Post by Gary Potter »

Sorry, forgot flat vs hilly.

Mostly flat but I do expect spending some summertime in the mountains. Probably a mix at 80/20 flat to hills. My bucket list includes Idaho, Dakotas, Utah. mostly to/from TX and LAS.
Retirement is underrated
'Dewey' an '84 30P
Gary Potter
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Gary -

Unless your owner's manual (or sticker) specifically allows a higher tongue weight with a WHD, it's safe to say that 600lb. tongue weight is the max, with and without a WDH.

I have a 2005 Ford Ranger 4x4 with trailer tow. It is considerably smaller than your Tahoe Hybrid. Ford says I can tow 6000lbs. and 600 lb. tongue weight with a WDH.

Theoretically, I could pull our 1988 30-P; it has the same total (dry) and tongue weights as my Ranger. But that leaves me no reserve (20% of total). Although very well maintained, it is still a 12 year old truck with a 132K miles.

You are in the same dilemma. I suggest you call Chevy Tech Support (866-694-6549) and describe your situation. You need data to understand your 10-year-old vehicle's true capability and limitations. Hybrids can be expensive to fix, especiallly if the propulsion system craps out in the desert or mountains.

Bob
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I may have misread--I thought he was saying 600lbs without WD.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

That’s the point. I didn’t see any higher tongue weights with a WDH, did you?
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Gary- are you certain your manual says 600lb max tongue weight capacity? My 2009 Tahoe, although not a hybrid, allows up to 1,000lb tongue weight with WD, and a tow capacity of 8200lbs. It's only 600lbs tongue weight without WD. I can understand why the TOW capacity would vary between the hybrid and standard Tahoe. However, I guess I'd be surprised if the rear suspension differed between the two, so that 600lb would be the max tongue weight for the hybrid. Per the 2008 hybrid manual I pulled up online, it lists 6200lb as the tow capacity for RWD, so I'd think 750lb tongue weight would be well within your limit. The manual I saw made no reference to tongue weight whatsoever.

Keep in mind my thinking regarding the rear suspensions is pure speculation on my part, and perhaps the rear suspension of the hybrid is a completely different beast. I think Silverloaf's advice is good to call the 800 number and see what they can tell you about the tongue capacity. I'd also be curious to hear whether they state the rear suspension of the hybrid vs standard Tahoe is the same or different. No matter the case, it'd be nice to see the ratings in print.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Gary Potter

Post by Gary Potter »

I will call tech support in the am tomorrow. The manual and factory stickers both state 600 lb tongue weight and 6000 lb tow capacity. There is no stipulation that either number has anything to do with a WD hitch. I looked at online at replacement 2" receivers, I think it was trailers.com and there were several options, one exceeded 12000 lb max tow weight. The only replacement guaranteed to fit was a 600 TW and 6000 max tow weight. Makes me wonder if the factory specified limits are driven by the receiver limitations and not the Tahoe's weight, drive train, etc. Either way, I'll ask tech support. I will also ask about the positive impacts of putting a WD hitch into the mix. I really want my first attempt into RVing to be successful.

I also read somewhere that gear ratios and torque influence limitations. That's going to drive additional research on my part. The only thing I know about either is how to spell them.
Retirement is underrated
'Dewey' an '84 30P
Gary Potter
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Gary Potter wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:29 am I will call tech support in the am tomorrow. The manual and factory stickers both state 600 lb tongue weight and 6000 lb tow capacity.
Where are you seeing those stickers?

The tow capacity for your vehicle is independent of the receiver. Now the receiver must be adequate to handle the load you are towing, but you can have a far beefier receiver than what your vehicle is capable of towing.

For example, my hitch with WD is rated at 10,000lbs. However, my Tahoe can't tow that much.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Razorback wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:40 pm I would definitely NOT rely on the stock receiver hitch on the Tahoe, but find the heaviest-rated after-market receiver you can find. Doesn't mean you have to haul the max. weight, but I really like the idea of a stout receiver.

Just wondering why you say this about the stock receiver? My receiver, which appears to stock, is rated for 10,000lb with WD.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Took me a while to remember where I had seen it, but this is what I think of when I hear “Chevy” and “receiver hitch”. Even before I heard of this, when I would pull up behind a Chevy and see one of these receivers I always thought they didn’t look very stout.

http://www.silveravion.com/1987-avion-32s.html
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Gary Potter

Post by Gary Potter »

I revisited the stickers - the factory sticker just rt of the hitch receiver says 10000 w/ WD hitch and 1000 tongue weight with WD hitch. Does this mean hitch rating or Tahoe max towing weight? I'm hoping for the latter; means I can choose the optimum Avion model. Need to find a link to the possibilities.

Either way, tech support is on my to do list for tomorrow.

I'm wondering if this convo should be in the tow vehicles and hitches category?
Retirement is underrated
'Dewey' an '84 30P
Gary Potter