Window rubber seals, gaskets, covers, etc

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
Salty

Re: Window rubber seals, gaskets, covers, etc

Post by Salty »

KYAvion wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:30 pm Thanks. When installing these seals, gaskets, covers, etc., did you have to apply any adhesive to hold them in place?
Sorry for the late reply.
No, there was no adhesive on the originals and I put none on when replacing them. No issues to date.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Noob

Post by Noob »

RISK wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:14 pm Hey gang,

It’s time to address some window gasket issues, namely replacing the lower seal that sits on the bottom sill and seals the back and bottom of the lower pane to the frame. I’ve looked through VTS and vintage gasket sites and haven’t found this one. Any help or thoughts?

6C381B41-058C-482E-9919-78D435503CBA.jpeg

Thanks,
Ian
[/quote

Did anyone ever find a source for this seal? Thanks in advance!
RISK

Post by RISK »

Hey everyone, been awhile please pardon my absence. I know y’all missed me terribly 😉.

The Avion is still going strong but some other developments have occupied my attention, namely a gifted 1980 FJ40 and some land we bought in the mountains of New Mexico (sawmill).

I just received a pm from a fellow forum member, Hannah asking about these gaskets so I thought I’d share what my ultimate solution was…

I never did find the proper gasket even after chewing that bone through the marrow. One of my initial issues was that a couple of my longer windows were binding up when closing, I discovered that the bottom of the window frame was sagging a bit in the middle and it was inhibiting the proper closing action.I stripped out a few operators before I figured this out. So rather than shaving down the frame edge, I yanked the gasket in question and watched for leaks. In the couple years since I did that I’ve had nary a leak in those windows.

I’ve come to the conclusion that these are really just dust gaskets and/or vibration dampeners. I did put some really thin (like 1/32”) foam gasket material I had laying around for redoing camera light seals and that solved any rattling and dust issues.
Don’t have a part number but I’m sure you can find something better.

The only place my trailer leaks now is at the front windows where the rock guard hinge ends right inline with the edges of the window openings. I have a more permanent solution for this in mind but for the last couple years, if I know a heavy rain is coming, I just run a strip of blue painters tape vertically along those seams and remove them soon after, works fine and is cheap.

Ah, one final thing, make sure your drain slots are clear of debris in all your windows, otherwise, water will gather and move in.

I hope everyone is doing well,
Hugs all around…

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Welcome back and congrats on the purchase!

Speaking of those drain slots at the bottom of the front windows, I find they require something in front of them (small piece of foam), otherwise road spray will infiltrate through those weep holes when driving in the rain, and end up getting all over the front ledge/platform behind the couch.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I’ve not personally used this, but someone on FB mentioned using this as the screw cover gasket on their Avion:

3/4” gasket by Automotive Authority. Part #CT34

Automotive Authority LLC Black RV Camper Trailer Thick Vinyl 3/4" Insert Trim Mold Flexible Screw Cover 0.75" x 50 Feet(50 ft, Black)

https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Autho ... B079H4BLHF
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R