Locked in

A general discussion forum
KYAvion
Site Admin

Locked in

Post by KYAvion »

So I read on an Airstream site about many owners (of mostly new or newer trailers) having problems getting locked INSIDE their trailer. I never had an issue with my 79 Sovereign, and I can't see how this would happen with the lock system on my Avion. Anyone experience any problems like this? Seems dangerous.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
RISK

Re: Locked in

Post by RISK »

I’ve kind of experienced this...

When I purchased my Avion, right before driving off, I was doing a final walk around checking all the doors, windows and hatches and tried to lock the small cylinder lock that’s part of the handle and half the cylinder broke off. Still had the dead bolt so not such a big deal.

Fast forward several months: while camping with my family, my then almost 2 yo was fiddling with interior lever that’s operates the cylinder lock. Somehow the piece(s) that we’re still in there got all jammed up, effectively locking us in. Luckily, I keep a dedicated set of tools inside the trailer and was able to use a flathead screwdriver un-jam everything and get out. It wasn’t easy though, my kids learned some new words that morning.

I’ve since removed all the bits and pieces and have them saved in a little baggy so I can hunt for a replacement.

Anyone had any luck replacing that lock part? Chuck seemed to think it was an extremely long shot to find a replacement, so it’s just artfully taped up for now.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

What about the exit window? We have one in the rear (road side). I figured if we are locked in, we can carefully open the window (so it does not fall off and break) and get out.
Last edited by Rostam on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Good idea. I need to test mine out sometime to make sure there's no issues.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Becky B.

Post by Becky B. »

Well, we just had a problem with our lock. I never use the little lever lock, since I did get locked outside of my Airstream that had essentially the same lock. I figured the deadbolt was foolproof. Fortunately, we were on the outside of the trailer when the deadbolt decided to not work. After much fiddling (and ordering an new one that didn't fit) , my husband got it open. He dismantled the whole thing & cleaned it up good. It had a lot of gunk in it, so it was locking up on its own. He put some Boeshield on it & hopefully we're good. I do have the emergency window operational in case we ever get locked in!!!
Aviongirl1995

Post by Aviongirl1995 »

I got locked inside my Avion yesterday. The deadbolt would turn but not unlock the door. I had to crawl out the escape window behind the bed. Thankfully my mom was able to come over after work and took out the lock after fiddling with it and not being able to get the door open. I’m not sure if it’s broken or not
Owner of 83 34W