Atwood Direct Spark Ignition Water Heater

Water Heaters, Furnaces, Air Conditioners, Refrigerators, Ranges
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Atwood Direct Spark Ignition Water Heater

Post by KYAvion »

I did not add a new switch. Instead, I just used the existing switch on the monitor panel. I thought about putting the dual switch somewhere else since I didn’t want to change the existing appearance of the monitor panel, but instead I just used the existing monitor panel switch. Consequently, I can’t disable ONLY the electric via the switch since that switch now controls both the gas and electric. Now once I get around to it I’ll run 120v from a dedicated breaker, so it will be easy to shut the electric off should I ever want to.

I don’t have my trailer wiring in front of me. However, from looking at the first post in this thread that talks about the wiring colors, the only option for using the existing switch for both gas and electric would be to connect the trailer’s yellow wire (12V) to both the water heater’s orange and white wires.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Kara

Post by Kara »

Thanks for the fast response! Your wiring color guide worked perfectly, thank you. I think I will leave it wired to the monitor for lp and go ahead and put a separate switch for the electric in the bathroom. It appears it would just take running a 12v from the converter and the white wire to a toggle switch.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Yes, if you want to control the electric separately you’d just wire a switch off the 12v panel that connects to the white wire on the water heater.

Something to remember though would be to turn off BOTH switches when not using the trailer/draining the water heater.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R