Rub rail/Beltline insert..... sources?

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
Razorback

Re: Rub rail/Beltline insert..... sources?

Post by Razorback »

Looking back through old posts, the cost for a 34-footer worth of rub rail insert from Cayo was $128. I bet that’s still the best route to go.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

http://www.piersupply.com/Item/V12_4144_Series

123.99 at Pier Supply. These are the folks that were so helpful with finding something that fits.

Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

That’s not a bad price and it looks like a nice piece of trim. Does it have more of a rubbery or hard plastic feel to it?

Do you not like it as well as the original trim from Cayo? Just wondering why you think Cayo May still be the best route to go?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I guess I was kind of thinking out loud when I commented about getting the insert from Cayo..... based simply on the possible price difference. Of the two, though, I really like Taco’s V12-4144 the best.

The original insert that is on our Avion is really hard and has obviously shrunk a LOT over time. The original is thin compared to the V12-4144. The Taco insert is thick, pliable as it gets warmer, and has a nice feel to it. With those properties, I am wondering if it would not shrink nearly as much, and be the best in the long haul.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Just had a thought...How about where the insert would meet the end of the rubrail? Due to the thickness of the insert, would it stick out too far at the ends?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

If the entire insert was installed inside the rail opening, the ends would be covered just fine with the tabs at the end of the rail.

Here is what I am going to do: Order enough of the V12-4144 to re-do our 34W. After doing some figuring, it looks like I would need 2-70' rolls, plus 1-50' roll. I will wait for a really warm day so the insert is very pliable.

(It is 44 degrees here this morning. I did a little test with the 1-foot sample I have..... and I take no responsibility for anyone else's safety if they want to try this..... I took a utility knife and trimmed off those "ears" on the back of the insert. That made it a little easier to flex inside the rail opening, and it looks good. That might also make it not so "thick" at the ends of the rail. If the material is pliable enough when it is hot outside, I can envision only trimming those "ears" off within inches of the end of the rail so it will fit nicely under the end tabs, and keeping the rest as-is inside the rail. I'll only know a good answer when I do it.......)

These pictures are of the sample with the "ears" on the back of the sample trimmed completely off, then installed in the rail. It looks like a little less trimming on the back side would result in a tighter fit against the lip if the rail.
Attachments
IMG_0852.jpg
IMG_0853.jpg
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

That is quite a bit of trim, and thus a bit of $$. And then there’s the insert on the lower rail too...
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

KYAvion wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:49 pm That is quite a bit of trim, and thus a bit of $$. And then there’s the insert on the lower rail too...
Yes..... a 30 or 32-footer would have been nicer in this circumstance. I know the body of the 34-footer is approximately 31', so that X 2, plus the width of the body X 2, is going to be something over 70'..... so, I can't just order 2-70' lengths of this stuff. Too bad they don't list an 80' piece!

For the lower rail...... I think that insert is the very common stuff that you can pick up just about anywhere.

This figuring is why I wondered if Chuck Cayo would be a better source for the insert? I don't know....... I should give him a call.....
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Well, I called Chuck Cayo.

For my 34W, 160’ @ .80/ft.... $128 + UPS shipping.... all one piece.

That settles that!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W