Pressurizing the water system on a '66 Sportsman

Freshwater System, Grey and Black Tanks, LP Gas
66Avion18

Pressurizing the water system on a '66 Sportsman

Post by 66Avion18 »

Hello all. I just read over the manual for instructions on how to pressurize our water system and fill the front holding tank. The manual says to fill from the left rear water valve. Is this correct? We were told by a PO that the front valve is best to use or, does it make a difference? It seems the front one would be good to fill the holding tank. I'm attaching images of both. The first image is of the front right valve (when facing the trailer) while the second on the right rear.

Kevin
Attachments
front water.jpg
rear water.jpg
66Avion18

Re: Pressurizing the water system on a '66 Sportsman

Post by 66Avion18 »

I'm amazed at the lack of communication on this website. This particular thread has had 360 views but not one reply. Surely someone in this 'viewing group' has experience in pressurizing the fresh water system in a vintage Avion. The exception are posts by a few members who've help me over the past year or so - Razerback, KYAvion, and Silverloaf. Thanks very much to the three of you.

FYI, I posted the same question to a FB group and had replies within hours, not weeks or months, or not at all. Perhaps it's time to shut this site down (says the grumpy old guy in me).

K
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I share your frustration with the lack of response...... and appreciate the thanks.

I wish I had some experience with the older Avions..... the best I can do is offer what the owners manual says....

Did you get a good answer from the FB group? (I don't participate there).
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
66Avion18

Post by 66Avion18 »

Yes I did although it was conflicting. My manual says to fill from the rear while the so-called experts and the PO said to fill from the front. Turns out the best info came from a fellow with a 67 Avion. He said that he always fills from the rear because the front freshwater holding tank gets pressurized at the same time. Makes sense.

Kevin
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Hmmmm..... maybe that's why the manual says to fill from the rear .... glad you got it done.....
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I just pressure tested the fresh water system on my '89 32S cause I'm replumbing with pex. Plugged all the holes and used water and dish soap. Found the spiral groove fresh water fill was the big leaker, the inner spirals don't seal when clamped. So what I did was use aquarium silicone sealer on the mating surfaces, with a faucet grease on the fittings so the hose would come off if needed, hope this fills the inner grooves, especially the one on top of the tank.

One could also use a vacuum pump to see if it holds pressure, but I think pressurize with soap and water is easier to detect.
'89 Travelcade 28A
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Keep in mind the spiral fill tube, as well as the tank itself, isn’t under pressure, so the hose just needs to seal well enough while filling the tank. Only the lines after the water pump are under pressure when using the freshwater tank.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

That is correct. I am going to all the trouble of replumbing and fixing, I don’t want to watch water dribbling from the top of the tank inlet. These trailers are pretty good, just need a little attention. I saw a new airstream price of $212k. Makes me feel I can give this one a little attention.
'89 Travelcade 28A