Empty LPG tanks?

Anything related to what's happening with your Avion
AVian

Empty LPG tanks?

Post by AVian »

Hey everybody, this is my first post so I apologize if I deviate from the forums standard procedures. I bought a 1987 34X in July but before that I had never stepped foot inside a TT so I’ve been figuring EVERYTHING out as I go and haven’t had an issue I couldn’t resolve until this week. Here’s what’s going on and tell me wha you think. When I turn my water heater on at the monitor panel the light blinks like normal and I can hear the water heater make the normal clicking sound but there’s no gas sound it goes quiet for about 5-10 seconds then it will make the clicking noise about 5 more times real quickly and the monitor panel light will come on and stay on. I tried checking he LPG levels on both tanks at the monitor but nothing lights up. Is something supposed to happen on the monitor panel if the tanks are empty? Also, if I disconnect the tanks to get them refilled is it as easy as disconnecting from a gas grill or are there more steps involved because of my appliances?
1987 34X
2004 4.8L V8 Silverado 1500
Razorback

Re: Empty LPG tanks?

Post by Razorback »

Welcome, AVian! Sorry it has taken so long to get you a response.

First, do your LP cylinders still have the sensor wires connected to them? My cylinders don't have sensors, so there are no wires connected. The first thing I would do is get your cylinders filled. The connections are simple to unscrew (OPPOSITE THREADS... so righty-loosey, lefty-tighty.) I usually have to use pliers or an adjustable wrench to get mine loose. Sensors or not, there should be an automatic or a manual changeover valve on the hoses near the cylinders. If yours is manual, make sure the selector is pointing toward the cylinder that has its valve open. As you try to light each appliance, it might take a few cycles to get air out of the lines to provide propane to the appliance. Of course, this is assuming that the gas valve at each appliance is working properly. I usually start with the burners on the stove, then the fridge, then the furnace, then the hot water tank.
Feel free to ask questions....!!!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
AVian

Post by AVian »

Alright!!! Thank you! I’ve spent so much time reading semi-relatable threads that I didn’t know where to begin. Also I remember now I turned both cylinders off to prepare for a hurricane then just opened both tanks up all the way back up afterwards and didn’t do anything else. I only use the propane for the water heater, now I’m thinking I probably had enough gas in the lines when I closed them to heat water a few more times. Im going to get in there today and see what’s what. I’ve been gun shy with the lpg system because of my experiences with gas grills shooting fireballs shooting at my head when I try to light them. I’m guessing all those checks are made on the exterior correct? Stove, fridge, heater, water heater seems like the order in which I should do the checks
1987 34X
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

The only check made inside is the stove/oven (except maybe the LP connection for the furnace.... that is inside). Do you still have the original Magic Chef oven? Otherwise, the fridge, furnace, and water heater are just a matter of turning each on and seeing if they come on like they are supposed to. If something doesn't work like it's supposed to, each one needs to be diagnosed individually by you or someone who can.

It is always a good idea to check propane connections with a spray of soapy water to check for leaks. If the leaks are bad enough, you might smell them. There are tools made to detect leaks, also.

Make use of owner's manuals and guides that you can find in the documentation section, or, maybe you have some with your Avion?

Just be careful and don't blow yourself up. Please feel free to ask questions.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
AVian

Post by AVian »

Ok I can definitely manage that. It’s still the original stove and oven. I haven’t been able to get the tanks filled yet but yesterday I familiarized myself with them a little more. One of the tanks felt to be at least 1/3 full I thought. I turned a burner on and heard a faint hiss but didn’t smell any gas. I flicked my lighter under it and got nothing. Should I have turned them all on at the same time? Did I overlook something else? The manual mentions holding a match to the pilot valves but I wasn’t able to determine for sure where they are or that they even look like.
1987 34X
AVian

Post by AVian »

Not to worried about the refrigerator because 99.9% of the time I’m on shore power and as for the furnace, it just doesn’t get cold enough to use down here in Tampa. Come to think of it I don’t even know how to turn the furnace on if I wanted to. I never even thought to ask the previous owner about it. I know where it is but that’s about it.
1987 34X
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I have a 1987 34W that also has the original Magic Chef stove. To get light the upper pilot light, I have to raise the cover that has the 4 burner grates on it, then near the front is a small valve that I have to open with an attached lever. I will open that valve while I am holding a lighter over the gas opening. If the LP tank valve is open, it doesn't take long to light that pilot. Once the pilot lights, the burners tend to light pretty quickly as I turn each control knob. The oven is pretty easy to light, too. That pilot is under the lower shelf in the oven. If you are not needing the furnace, try the water heater (assuming there is water in that tank). Hopefully your surroundings will be quiet enough to be able to hear the water heater when it lights. You should be able to use the switch on the control panel..... turn it on, wait 15 seconds or so, see if the LED light on the panel comes on. Seems like my LED comes on if the tank DOESN'T light. Then, turn the switch off, then on, and go through that cycle until it lights. If my Avion has been sitting unused for a length of time, I have to cycle that 8 -12 times (?) before the water heater will light. When it does, I hear the "whoosh" and can hear the burner going.

Good luck.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Any update here??
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
AVian

Post by AVian »

I will have an update later today I just haven’t gotten the tanks filled because I’ve been trying to figure out what is causing the squishiness under my bathroom floor. So expect an update on the lpg tanks and a post under the plumbing section today or tomorrow.
1987 34X
AVian

Post by AVian »

All systems are GO! For some reason the stove and oven pilots don’t want to light but I can start them by just turning the knobs and waving a lighter around. Hypothetically, if there was a leak inside do you think I’d be able to smell the gas or would I just get sleepy all of a sudden? Thanks for all your help!
1987 34X