New member 1990 34XB

A little about yourself
pwdby460

New member 1990 34XB

Post by pwdby460 »

Hi All,

I appreciate ya's allowing me to be a member in your group. I will be acquiring my parents 1990 Avion 34XB this summer. They ordered it and purchased it new in late 1989. It was towed to an enclosed storage facility near Cleveland, Ohio from the dealer in Indiana (Raper's RV). Here it has been its entire life so far. My parents never got to use it, and now my Dad has passed away. So my Mom has given it to me. I'm somewhat knowledgeable on travel trailers. My parents started out with a 1968 Franklin 19-footer and then moved up to a 1974 Franklin 32-footer which I have now.
Back to the Avion......I have a set of new tires to put on it before towing it to it's new home in Mississippi. Should I be concerned about the axles? It has the Al-ko suspension. It has not been out in the weather at all. I have not been able to get any response from Al-ko or Dexter on their thoughts of the axle rubbers condition. Also I have read where some people have had the axle stubs break off. That scares the bejesus out of me. The trailer is essentially brand new, I certainly don't want anything catastrophic to happen on its first trip.
I've also read a lot about water leaks. My plan is to remove the rubber strips and replace the attaching screws with stainless ones and put sealer on each screw, and put a bead of sealer along the entire strip where it covers the basement to upper wall panels. Also the awning rails etc. Any other advice would be appreciated.
It has the laid down propane bottles. Is there somewhere I can take them to get the valves changed out and re-certified? I certainly don't want to give up the expensive aluminum bottles.
The last time I saw the trailer, I noticed what looks to be an aluminum channel hanging down from the front rock guard (what we used to call the front awning in old school). It's like it seperated from in indention molded into the cover. Maybe a rivet came loose or something. My Dad left the cover opened. I doubt it was hanging at the time he opened it. I feel sure this happened while the unit has been sitting.
I have af ew other concerns that I will express in another post later.

Thanks again and hope ya's all have a nice day, :)
Dan
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: New member 1990 34XB

Post by KYAvion »

That’s amazing you have a “new” XB. Check out this link on torsion axles: https://inlandrv.com/dura-torque-axle-article/
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R