'88 Avion Adjust-A-Ride Grease Cap Size

Axles and Suspension Systems, Brakes, Brake Controllers, Wheels, Tires
deminimis

'88 Avion Adjust-A-Ride Grease Cap Size

Post by deminimis »

Greetings!

Pulling the trigger on an '88 Avion with Adjust A Ride axles/suspension (3 axle). No clue as to when bearings were last packed and I'll have a long pull to get it back home. I assume these are not greasable. Thus, I'm going to bandaid it and stick on bearing buddies (fill with grease a few times during the trip). I know, grease everywhere, seal issue, etc., but better than a burned up bearing. I'll do things up proper once I get home. So, does anyone know the grease cap size on these axles? I'd like to show up with parts in-hand rather than hoping I can find what I need in unfamiliar territory. Thanks!!
deminimis

Re: '88 Avion Adjust-A-Ride Grease Cap Size

Post by deminimis »

Searching Dexter dust caps, I came up with 2.44" for current 5.2k and 6k axles. Not sure if that's the correct answer or not.
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Have you measured the OD of an existing cap at the hub end?
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
deminimis

Post by deminimis »

It's 2,100 miles away.
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Unfortunately, I cannot measure our trailer. It has aluminum wheels with a center cover that masks the bearing caps.

However, by process of elimination, Razorback reported that Avion converted to 6K axles (were 5.2K), in 1978 through 1988. We have a '88 30P with twin axles.

Second, When I replaced the hub and bearing assys, brake assys, and suspension parts in 2017, all parts were based upon 12" x 2" brake pads.

Lastly, when I searched the eTrailer website, the only bearing cap that came up with that configuration was one measuring 0.2446" in diameter.

I suspect you have already done the research on this. Short of a factory parts list, I don't know of any other means of guess-timating this part from a distance,

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
deminimis

Post by deminimis »

Thank you.
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Keep the group posted on your journey. Everyone enjoys a good sequel to Gulliver's Travels!

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P