Removing the fridge - Avion Sportsman

Kitchen tips and recipes
66Avion18

Removing the fridge - Avion Sportsman

Post by 66Avion18 »

I'm in the process of removing the fridge in my trailer. It's pooched (which we knew when we bought it). The front bit is quite simple but now I've gotten to the back of the fridge which much be secured in some way. The problem is that I do not have the key for the trap door. Does anyone know whether the same key was used for all/most Avion's? If so, is there a code on your unit's key?

Kevin
Attachments
fridge trap door.jpg
66Avion18

Re: Removing the fridge - Avion Sportsman

Post by 66Avion18 »

Well, while waiting for a reply from the Avion group I decided to tackle this on my own. On the other side of the trailer is another trap door which gives access to the hot water heater. Luckily, there is also access from the inside of the trailer - under the bench/bed. I was able to remove the lock tumbler from the inside by removing the latch which is held on with a slotted screw (see image). I then took the tumbler to a lock smith who was able to cut a key for it. Voila, the key fit the fridge trap door too! Problem solved.

Kevin
Attachments
tumbler.jpg
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Perseverance is golden here.

By the way, this forum used to be very active among Avion owners. Either everyone has their trailers in order or .....
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
66Avion18

Post by 66Avion18 »

I think you're right. I belong to another forum for vintage BMW motorcycles in the UK. Replies to issues happen on the same day and usually by the dozen. Take care and have a good summer.

Kevin
jthon

Post by jthon »

Nope, I m just about to start a floor and appliance restoration on a 1971 Avion. I read posts whenever I can and while all of my learning is in front of me, I still value any input and shared project. I need all the help I can get! Best wishes and keep posted, I very much value them.
Holzarbeiter

Post by Holzarbeiter »

I picked up a 1962 T-20 on 7-3-23. I received zero keys at the time of purchase. I will be doing the same thing to gain access to the fridge door.