Lights above the couch have no power

BimmerRacer

Lights above the couch have no power

Post by BimmerRacer »

87 34W....the two lights above the front couch area have no power. I don't think there's light switch for them aside from the ones on the lights themselves, is there? All the other lights in the trailer work just fine. Fuses look ok. Stereo (updated to a car stereo type by previous owners) that sits between the two cabinets powers up as well. Any suggestions?
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Lights above the couch have no power

Post by KYAvion »

I’m not aware of a separate light switch either. I assume you tried new 12v (NOT 120v) bulbs?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
BimmerRacer

Post by BimmerRacer »

Yea, I mean I used a voltmeter after trying to wire in my new LED lights didn't work. Neither side has power. And to top things off the street side reading light wiring seems to be missing as well. Thinking of adding some wiring to run either from indirect lights behind the shelves or from whatever feeds the stereo.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I’m not sure how the lights behind the couch are wired in relation to the lights on the sides, but it’s interesting those side lights aren’t working. Have you pulled the switch that turns the side lights on/off to verify power both before and after the switch? Also, are all your 12v fuses good?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Looks like I misread your post. So the valence lights on one side don’t have any wiring, but the other side does? Does the valence with wiring work ok via the light switch on the wall?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
BimmerRacer

Post by BimmerRacer »

If by valance lights you mean the ones behind the shelves, than yes, both of those sides work fine are are controlled by the "Indirect Lights" switch located by the door.

What doesn't work are

1. Lights below the storage compartments on both sides of the stereo located at the front of the trailer. Neither side has power.

2. The light that looks like this https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Interior-Li ... bEQAvD_BwE is missing from the street side and has no wiring that I can see. The previous owner has another light in its place which simply plugged into an outlet.
BimmerRacer

Post by BimmerRacer »

I visually checked the fuses, I didn't check them with a meter, I can do that in a bit
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

There are 3 lights underneath the front compartment of our '88 30-P. Each have their own integrated switch. When I removed the entire compartment to fortify its anchoring to the shell, I don't recall seeing more than one 12V wire that entered the compartment from behind the aluminum skin. I concluded the stereo and lights are on the same circuit.

The wiring path across the compartment is hidden by pieces of plywood that form the bottom of each compartment shelf . To get to it requires removing the plywood bottoms and partitions that separate the individual segments.

I'm inclined to think there is a loose 12v connection in the wiring bundle under the plywood bottom. You might want to check the wiring path behind the right speaker. Some wiring appears to enter/exit at that point.

Am I understanding your issue correctly?
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
BimmerRacer

Post by BimmerRacer »

I have two lights, each with their own integrated switch under the front compartment. As I am replacing them, I had to get to all of the wiring inside of that compartment. I have three points of entry of wires into that compartment. One in each corner and one in the center. The corner ones have two sets of wires each, joined with wire nuts and thats what the light were connected to. Neither side has any power at those wire nuts. The center wire coming in I can't tell whats going on there. I need to still remove one of the panels on the side of the new stereo to see if I can see what that looks like. It's a freaking mess of wires there between old/new stereo wiring.

Pics attached
Attachments
PXL_20220228_215557818.jpg
PXL_20220228_215523217.jpg
PXL_20220228_215502492.jpg
PXL_20220228_215437924.jpg
PXL_20220228_215357083.jpg
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

I'm sure you are up to the task!
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”