Avion H-26 - Replacing Shocks

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
jdrmvv

Avion H-26 - Replacing Shocks

Post by jdrmvv »

I have Avion H-26 and I want to replace the shocks but I don't know which shock I have to buy.
Do you know what shocks they have?
There are thousands out there and I don't want to buy the wrong one.
I appreciate any help.
Thanks.
JR.
silverloaf

Re: Avion H-26 - Replacing Shocks

Post by silverloaf »

Check the current shocks to see if there is a manufacturer and part number stamped on it. If not, call the Monroe Tech Hotline (800-325-8886). Ask them how to determine the ideal shock based upon your shock's length of travel, piston size, GVW, etc. They should be able to pick the right one.

I installed 4 Monroe shocks on our 30-P 4 years ago. I believe they were the Monroe Gasmatic model and were around $35-40 a piece. They do a nice job.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

I also have a 26-H so I'd be really interested in the outcome of your research :)
Wanted to replace the shocks whenI bought my trailer 6 years ago, but the shocks seemed fine, hence, I've continued to use them. Back then, someone suggested taking one shock off and taking it to a truck shop to find the correct replacement. Below are a couple of posts I saved from the Yahoo group regarding shock replacement on a 78 Avion (28, NOT 26). Obviously, I can't vouch for what's being suggested, but its a starting point.

Post #1
"I Just replaced the shocks on my 1978 8.5 m with (Monroe 37047) I had to drill out the lower hole a little but other wise fit good mine had the bottom hole and the top a bolt mount I just posted pics"

Post #2
"I used Monroe 32206 on my 78 28M. The shocks I took off looked original and had a Maeco # on it that nobody could cross. I took the old shock to an O Reilly auto parts store and found the closest one to my length. It was approximately 5/8" longer than my old shock but had the proper mounts. The bushing that was pressed into one end was so out of round I could not get it on the double stud mounts under the leaf springs, and it was not as long as the ones that were used on the old shock to provide the proper offset. I got new bushing that were about 1 3/4" long and pressed them into to the new shock. 78 was the first year of the Adjust a ride so if that is the suspension system you have I would say they are the same, but I would bring an old shock with you to compare and be prepared to have to deal with the bushing issue."
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
jdrmvv

Post by jdrmvv »

Thanks Bob.
I'm waiting for another guy give me the part number for his replacement. He said,
"I just went through that myself. We have a 1979 30R. Two shocks per wheel. I have the part number and will find it for you if you can give me a few days. They are Monroe's and the bottom insert needs to be punched out to make it fit over the stud."
Let's see.
Thanks.
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

I'm aware of one shock per axle (or wheel), not two. Is this the arrangement you have?

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

silverloaf wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:23 pm I'm aware of one shock per axle (or wheel), not two. Is this the arrangement you have?
Silverloaf,
On 78 models, there are 2 shocks per axle. See the attached photo of my 1978 26-H.
Attachments
IMG_1250.JPG
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Wow. I learn something new every day. I would seem dual shocks would impede the axle from vertical travel. I guess I'll have to some research.

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
jdrmvv

Post by jdrmvv »

Your pic shows exactly the same as mine.
Unfortunately the other guy could not find the part number.
I'm going to call Monroe to try to find one.
Thanks everyone.
JR.
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

I have never quite understood how a shock absorber functions when it is not perpendicular to the axle. Most shock absorbers are mounted at an angle to the axle, presumably due to spatial constraints within the wheel well.

I just might call Monroe myself. After spending nearly 35 years in the automotive engineering, I've learned that the more we learn, the less we know.

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
jdrmvv

Post by jdrmvv »

OK guys, PROBLEM SOLVED.
I removed 2 shocks and gave to the mechanic.
He called O'Reilly and they find the same one as Rostom told me here on Sep 04. It's Monroe shocks, item# 37047. Thanks Rostom.
I'm going to get them tomorrow and install on Monday.
Let's see.
I'll update you here.
Thanks all.
JR.
Attachments
Shocks measures.
Shocks measures.
Shocks on camper.
Shocks on camper.