1975 28ft. tow weight?

Towing Rigs, Hitches, Weight Distribution, Sway Control
Kep

1975 28ft. tow weight?

Post by Kep »

I'm considering getting a smaller truck. So I'm considering the weight of trailer in that decision process. For the record I have torsion axles rated at 5000# each with the 5000# brakes on each axle with 16.5 E rated tires. I have really good confidence in the trailer.

I currently have a 2009 3/4 ton Dodge Ram and knew I had enough truck to tow a trailer 2 or three times the weight of the Avion. Now that I'm downsizing it has became an issue. Just sayn.
1975 28' LeGrande Twins, rear bath, front dinette.
Rostam

Re: 1975 28ft. tow weight?

Post by Rostam »

Kep wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:51 pm I'm considering getting a smaller truck. So I'm considering the weight of trailer in that decision process. For the record I have torsion axles rated at 5000# each with the 5000# brakes on each axle with 16.5 E rated tires. I have really good confidence in the trailer.

I currently have a 2009 3/4 ton Dodge Ram and knew I had enough truck to tow a trailer 2 or three times the weight of the Avion. Now that I'm downsizing it has became an issue. Just sayn.
Here are the specs per Dr Gradeless' website: http://avion.gradeless.com/1975_Avion_S ... e-List.pdf

LaGrande 28ITravelcader 28
Curb Weight: 5090 pounds/Hitch Weight: 695 pounds
Overall Length: 28' 8" /Wall-to-Wall Inside Length: 23' 7"

It does not specify the GVWR, but I suspect it's at least 7000#. Adding 1000# to 1500# to curb weight is a good guesstimate for tow weight, depending on whether you travel with full or empty water tanks and how much stuff you carry. I think you need a properly spec'ed 1/2 ton to pull your Avion comfortably.

Good luck!
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
Kep

Post by Kep »

Thank you
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

We have a 2018 F-150 with the max trailer package. Its rated to tow up to 11,200 lbs. I wasn't looking to tow that much weight; our '88 30P has a dry weight of roughly 6000#. I was looking for durability and efficiency.

Our max tow package upgraded the engine & trans cooling, axle ratio and a beefed-up stabilizer bar. I am not aware of any light-duty truck manufacturer who upgrades the frame and brakes as part of their max trailer tow package. At some point, a weight-distribution hitch and the trailer's electric brakes are relied upon to fill in the gap not filled by the vehicle's systems.

I had our truck built to conform to the expectations for safe and functional towing. At the same time, unlike a 3/4 ton, we are able to use the truck daily with reasonable good fuel economy and comfort. You might be hard-pressed to find a truck on the dealer's lot that meets the trailer tow specs. Do your research to get the right vehicle for your needs.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Kep

Post by Kep »

I agree with the right tow vehicle. But if you are going all electric weight and range are inseparable. When hopping from camp ground to camp ground the range needed to get you to the next camping/charge station is critical. You can just about factor in your reduced range based on tow weight. So in my plans it is a bit more of a challenge to get it figured out. I'm using AOR, Coast to Coast and Thousand Trails etc. these allow for a week or two of charging. So that part is figured out. I just need to be sure I can get there. :?
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

I wasn’t aware you were considering an all-electric truck. Are manufacturers touting 1/2-ton EV for serious towing?

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Kep

Post by Kep »

silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

I am always wary of advertised mph or mpc (miles per charge). As a retired powertrain engineer, I never saw data attributed to pulling a trailer under any load. The fuel consumption advertised on the window sticker is lab data, not any indicator of what occurs in real world.

Based upon my experience in measuring consumption with and without a trailer, I have observed a 35-40% difference. I wouldn't expect much difference in EV propulsion.

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

Must admit, this F150 lightning is very impressive! I'm not a big fan of Tesla's Cybertruck (Looks hideous, IMO). But this f150 looks great, is really fast, handles great, and weighs 1000# more than an average 1/2 ton pickup (Extra weight helps with stability when towing). And 39K price tag is really good too. Kudos to Ford. I think this pickup is ideal for those who need a pickup and do not travel long distances.

As with other EV vehicles, range seems to be the limiting factor. Its advertised at 300 miles, and towing that could easily be halved. Again, it depends on your travel style, but IMO, it seems as of now it will not work for most people (I can travel up to 500 miles a day, if needed. Certainly would not work for me). I think as the battery technology improves and super charger infrastructure becomes more common place, such vehicles become more practical. As of now, for city dwellers, it's perfect. For long travelers, not yet. Given the speed at which the battery technology improves, I suspect such vehicles will become commonplace in 5 years.

I was also reading on hydrogen cell cars (Toyota and Honda make them), and they seem to make a lot more sense than EVs. Basically, they are an EV, but instead of re-charging, you fill up your hydrogen tank, and hydrogen will re-charge the battery. It takes 5 minutes to fill up the tank (a bit longer than filling up gas/diesel tanks), but you immediately get your 300 or 400 miles range back. Sort of like an ICE vehicle after you do a fill up. The car generates water (instead of poisonous gases) which can be emptied periodically (even when you are driving. Its just water). I know the problem is lack of hydrogen filling stations (Only California has them), but IMO it makes a lot more sense, if you can get your range back in 5 minutes instead of an hour at the super charger.

Anyhow, I am never an early adopter :D and am patiently waiting for the new 2022 Tundra specs, to see whenther I want the new one or the current generation. But these new trucks are certainly interesting.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
Kep

Post by Kep »

Well I agree and my choices are the Rivian or the lightning at the moment. I can justify some of this with my oversized off grid solar but ultimately it is a choice of range to be sure. I doubt with a 10,000 and 12,000 estimated load capacity with their extended range options that with a 6,000# trailer loaded I will have issues with range at first.

I have always believed hydrogen was the ultimate choice but the powers that be still want to bleed us dry first before introducing newer better systems. I am on my downhill slope of life as it were. My age attacks my future so I need to take advantage of what I can while I can. I have never felt like this before... that this world is in reality a horde of blood sucking tics on our existence more now than ever. This PLANdemic has shown me more than I care to know about those in power and their role in the planned global reset through this global PLANdemic. This has shown me that quite literally god is the only one to sort this out. I just want to enjoy my retirement and avoid the new found realities we all face today as we are soon to be surfs and tenants. I want out of this system of invasive tics and want to keep what is rightfully mine! Control of my resources and choices is my goal but alas I don't believe in our modern era this is possible much longer with our brainwashed youth and corrupt foundations that manipulate reality.

The Tesla truck is hideous and I would not buy it even if it had an option to be a Mars shuttle to escape this world... for an extra cost of course.

Sorry for the reality rant but I wanted to be sure to convey my concerns.