New member with a '71 Avion project in the works!

A little about yourself
Ken

New member with a '71 Avion project in the works!

Post by Ken »

Hi everyone,

I'm Ken, from Northern Ontario, and I recently started work on my 1971 25' Voyager, and figured I should find a place where there might be a collection of people with some know-how, so here I am.

I bought it for $900 cad, gutted and with some dings and dinge, but broadly solid. Enough to tow it a good 700kms back to my parents' place where I could store it. There it sat for a few years, with nothing but a little tinkering here and there, until now.

I haven't gotten far yet, as while I was hoping to build my own interior off of the original floor, the presence of rot along the edges and a couple of pretty ugly rust spots on the frame helped me to decide it was best to pull the floor, weld/repair the frame (conveniently picked up a gas welder recently for unrelated purposes), and just start from the ground up...literally. Besides, I'm not certain but have been treating that old floor like it involves asbestos...so I'd rather that just be gone anyway.

Looking forward to your insights and advice as I progress.
Let's see how this goes!
Attachments
photo_2017-09-02_02-09-12.jpg
photo_2021-08-15_17-58-55.jpg
photo_2021-08-15_17-58-56.jpg
Razorback

Re: New member with a '71 Avion project in the works!

Post by Razorback »

Hi, Ken! Welcome to the forum. Glad you are here!

It looks like you have quite a project ahead of you, but it will be good to know that everything is solid when you are finished. Thank you for the pictures, and please keep us posted. There is a wealth of knowledge here, ready and willing to help.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
fogu

Post by fogu »

Hi Ken, I'm a newbie from Northern Ontario too, Rainy River. I just purchased a 66 Avion that I'm gutting and redoing. I'm curious about what you're planning on using on the interior walls, tin again, or something else?
Ken

Post by Ken »

fogu wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:45 pm Hi Ken, I'm a newbie from Northern Ontario too, Rainy River. I just purchased a 66 Avion that I'm gutting and redoing. I'm curious about what you're planning on using on the interior walls, tin again, or something else?
Hi Fogu. I'm considering using some cedar strips from some logs I cut on my sawmill, but I'll have to see if I make that work or if I get annoyed and tired of trying to plane them all to the right size and use something else hah.

As for the rest, between work and moving an apartment, I haven't got much farther than tearing out a good bit more of the floor so far. Will keep you all posted and probably pick up in activity when progress starts being made again.