Rear hitch for bike rack?

A little about yourself
Webslinger

Rear hitch for bike rack?

Post by Webslinger »

Has anyone installed a bike rack on the rear by installing a 2” receiver hitch… it looks to me like there is a solid frame to attach to. We have E bikes so they would be a bit heavy… thoughts? Thanks Webslinger 1986 Avion 34-W
silverloaf

Re: Rear hitch for bike rack?

Post by silverloaf »

I looked at a bike rack for our 30P about 3 years ago. I think I found it on eTrailer. It was a 3" square tubular design with mounting plates on each end. The plates were bolted to the inside of the trailer's frame extensions just in front of the bumper. The receiver was welded to the bottom of the tubular frame to accept a 2" ball hitch.

The rack was very robust but not cheap. There were also some clearance issues I needed to resolve between the square tubing and the aluminum compartment in front of the bumper that stowed the stinky-slinky.

I was also a bit concerned about the structural integrity of the frame ends. The main frame merges into a sub-frame and welded together. I sensed there would be a lot of torsional load applied through the square tubing to the frame ends from the weight of the bikes. These are items I didn't have time to sort out.

I do not recommend attaching a receiver directly to the bumper for the same reasons above.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Webslinger

Post by Webslinger »

Great info…. How much weight did you put on the bike rack?
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

I did not buy it. I had too much other work to do to get the trailer functional and road-worthy.

Look up bike racks on the eTrailer and see if you can find it. Call their tech support to see if they can answer your question. Better yet, call tech support at the rack manufacturer.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P