Reverse battery polarity. Help!

Rostam

Reverse battery polarity. Help!

Post by Rostam »

Hi,

I was replacing the battery on my Avion and I attached the white wire to the positive on battery :oops:
Sensed a burning scent in the bathroom (where the electrical panel is) and figured I have messed up. Reversed the polarity but the 110V to 12V convertor light is off now. I read the manual for troubleshooting this and everything seems to be fine; 1) Shore power is connected, 2) battery is connected with correct polarity, 3) battery is good, and 4) replaced 40 Amp battery fuse.The converter light is still off.

I have a camping trip coming up next week, which I really don't want to cancel. I have 2 questions and appreciate any feedback:

1) Whats the next step in trouble shooting this?

2) Can I go on my scheduled trip? The campground I'm going to is full hookup. So, I have shore power. It seems when on shore power, the 12V is supported via shore power (I disconnected the battery while on shore power and lights/fans/water pump/LP detector/etc) all work. So my guess is being on shore power, I will not drain my battery. Also, when traveling the 7 pin connector charges the battery. And, the battery is brand new. Am I missing something here? Do you think I'm ok going on my trip, electrical wise?

Thanks!
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
silverloaf

Re: Reverse battery polarity. Help!

Post by silverloaf »

Rostam-

If you get both 120V and 12V through the converter on shore power, you may have dodged a bullet.

Our trailer has a kill switch on our command center. It separates the 12V from the converter (when on shore power) and the 12v from the battery. Does your trailer have one?

If you have one, disconnect the shore power and put the switch to "on". You are now running on battery power. Do the 12v lights and appliances work?
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

Thanks Silverloaf,

When on shore power, I can run the AC and what relies on 12V (lights/fans/water pump/LP detector/etc) also work. So, I guess that good news.

My control panel does not have the switch you mentioned. However, when I physically disconnected the battery (while shore power was connected), what relies on 12V (lights/fans/water pump/LP detector/etc) still worked. I did another test: Reconnected the battery, and disconnected the shore power and, again, what relies on 12V still worked. The battery charger light in electrical panel is off though. So, I am not sure whether the battery is being re-charged when on shore power. Is there a way to confirm that? I am hoping that its just the battery charger light that got blown out.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

If everything is working but the indicator light , that should easy to diagnose and replace.

I wasn’t aware the converter charges the battery. In our case, I don’t know how the power from the converter can bridge the kill switch.

I like the security of the kill switch when hooked up to shore power with the tow vehicle still attached. If the converter goes roque, I would think it would prevent any back-feed to the vehicle’s electrical system.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P