12 volt DC negative

Avion4us2

12 volt DC negative

Post by Avion4us2 »

In the DC 12 volt system, there has to be a negative block terminal where all the 12 volt negatives connect. Does anyone know where I can find that? I have the 33ft. model. The distribution panel is in the head.
The reason I ask is I have converted my incandescent 12 volt light fixtures to LED's. The stock 12 volt converter causes the LED lights to pulse, so I am purchasing a solid state LED power supply and want to separate both the Positive and Negative that feed the interior lights.
silverloaf

Re: 12 volt DC negative

Post by silverloaf »

We have an '88 30P. The converter and fuse panel are in the left rear corner, below the closet in the bathroom.

The 12V negative terminal block is located in a cavity under the trailer at the front. There is an access panel just below the battery tray. The wiring harness from the tow vehicle runs into this cavity and splays out to the trailer's running/e-brake/stop /turn signal lights. 12v power for the interior lights, battery and electric jack are also connected here. There is a 10ga wire that runs to the command center; ours is located over the fridge.

I converted all of our interior lighting to LED when we restored our trailer 4 years ago. We have not experienced the flickering that you have.

Have you tried disconnecting the shore power and running the lights off the battery? Any difference?
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Avion4us2

Post by Avion4us2 »

I’ll look for that negative block under the battery tray. Then I will connect my wire tracer to it and see it if I can find a ground wire behind the 12volt electrical panel. Then all I have to do is slice in the LED power supply. The converter I have is very analog and works fine for incandescent lights. As it regulates, it is switching and LEDs like nice constant clean voltage. The only other 12volt needed is in the Suburban heater I think. I had to totally rebuild that as well.
Avion4us2

Post by Avion4us2 »

Well, silly me. It appears these trailer are like an automobile with the DC negative attached to the chassis of the coach itself. This makes it easy. Also found that there are 4 fused circuits controlling the lights. I will run a separate (4)fuse block behind the converter and place the LED power supply back there too. Then ground the negative in 2 places for redundancy. The old converter will still charge batteries if I want to have that.