Reese Round bar pro - Too Big?

Towing Rigs, Hitches, Weight Distribution, Sway Control
Farris

Reese Round bar pro - Too Big?

Post by Farris »

Hello,
We have a 1979 30P with a GVWR of 8540. When I was looking for a hitch the Reese has an option that was MGTW 8000, and the next one up was MGTW of 11,500 so I got the 11,500.

Now I'm wondering if its going to be too big.
Does anyone have any thoughts about this?
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Reese Round bar pro - Too Big?

Post by KYAvion »

I would imagine the larger bars would ALLOW for more weight distribution if needed, but that you don’t have to max them out. I have a 3P hitch so I’m not real familiar with the Reese, but I would think the weight distribution would function in a similar manner.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Farris

Post by Farris »

Thanks KYAvion,
I have read some posts that said too big could be really stiff and hard on the trailer, but nothing I read said how big too big was.

KYAvion wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:01 pm I would imagine the larger bars would ALLOW for more weight distribution if needed, but that you don’t have to max them out. I have a 3P hitch so I’m not real familiar with the Reese, but I would think the weight distribution would function in a similar manner.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I think that can be true, particularly in the case of also towing with a truck with a really stiff suspension. I think you’re fine, but hopefully others will chime in too.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

We have an '88 30P. The GVWR is 8500#. The dry weight is approx. 6000#. That means the trailer is rated to carry 2500# of cargo.

Cargo would include full propane tanks, as well as full fresh, gray and black water tanks. The remainder would be assigned for personal items or whatever you wish. If you don't carry full tanks, the weight reduction could be added to the remainder category.

If towing dry, the max tongue weight should be roughly 10% of that...or 600#. It at 8500#, the max tongue weight should roughly 850#.

I purchased a Curt WDH with a max tow capacity of 10,000# and a max tongue of 1000#. I was going to order the smaller capacity hitch based upon the trailer's dry weight. But I went with the larger one because that's what my son-in-law had purchased for his. I now have a 15% capacity reserve above the trailer's GVWR. Curt Tech Support validated my selection.

The tension bars provide enough flexure between the truck and trailer without being so harsh that they compromise the integrity of the vehicle frames. My F-150 with max trailer tow (max tow of 11,400#) is a great match for what's behind.

My suggestion is to call Reece tech support and ask for their recommendation on hitch sizing.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Farris

Post by Farris »

Great! Thank you all for your responses.