Newbie (maybe) R23 - Need Advice - pictures

A little about yourself
Razorback

Re: Newbie (maybe) R23 - Need Advice - pictures

Post by Razorback »

I also meant to add: the pictures indicate that the skin of the trailer is in pretty good shape. Depending on your energy level, one option would be to remove the primer and make it shine like a mirror (I'm not a fan of the work and the upkeep of that), or clean the surface, prime it again, then shoot it with a silver or grey paint. I think THAT would be a good option.

Anyway. More ideas.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Unless it’s literally falling apart (which is unlikely), I’d be inclined to put 2 new tires on it and tow it slowly the 3 or 4 miles.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
DrFred

Post by DrFred »

Wow, thanks. I got it down to a late 50’s model but thanks for pinpointing it. Do you think there was a window guard/awning covering that large back window at one time? Can a replacement be found easily or are they rare? I can’t imagine traveling without protecting that window.
DrFred

Post by DrFred »

Thanks for the paint/non paint advice. Painting it silver might be a good option, although I’d love to get it paint free and polish it. I know that would be a lot of work and a huge undertaking but you mentioned maintenance. If I ever get it to a shine, how is maintenance difficult? What is involved?
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

DrFred wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:38 am Wow, thanks. I got it down to a late 50’s model but thanks for pinpointing it. Do you think there was a window guard/awning covering that large back window at one time? Can a replacement be found easily or are they rare? I can’t imagine traveling without protecting that window.

Amazingly, I don't see any front window covers show up in the Avion brochures until the mid 1960s. But I have pictures of Avions as early as 1962 that has a cover over the front window. Luckily, if someone was needing to cover the front window of an earlier Avion, I could see it not being extremely complicated to make one or have one made. Comparing to the later Avions with the complex curved front windows, the earlier Avion front windows would be much simpler to cover.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

DrFred wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:42 am Thanks for the paint/non paint advice. Painting it silver might be a good option, although I’d love to get it paint free and polish it. I know that would be a lot of work and a huge undertaking but you mentioned maintenance. If I ever get it to a shine, how is maintenance difficult? What is involved?
I have never had a trailer with a mirror finish, so that was just me using my imagination of having one. I cannot even keep our shiny toaster nice and shiny! I would think a yearly wax job of a giant toaster by hand would be a minimum.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Just saw this….
70C26F19-B8B7-4954-8904-867F012921BE.png
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
DrFred

Post by DrFred »

So yes, that is the trailer and I was a little upset that it got posted as I didn't really need any competition but the trailer is now ours.

I'm sure we'll be on this site often looking for information, parts and advice. Thanks so much for all of your advice and guidance so far.

I will post pictures as we try to get it out of the woods and all throughout this adventure we are about to embark on.
DrFred

Post by DrFred »

Tonight we begin the extraction of the trailer to move it 2.5 miles. I am going to try and jack the trailer up and remove the wheels. I will need to find replacements for the wheels. Any ideas where I can find rims and tires to replace what I have now. Please see pictures.
Tire.jpg
Wheel.jpg
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Below is Discount Tire's website. It describes the following dimensions of a wheel's design:
Wheel Diameter
Wheel Width
Wheel Bolt Pattern
Wheel Offset

I suggest taking a wheel and tire to them. They should be able to tell you what you need.

I would consider used tires until you know what you are really into.

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/wheel-size
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P