Newbie (maybe) R23 - Need Advice - pictures

A little about yourself
DrFred

Newbie (maybe) R23 - Need Advice - pictures

Post by DrFred »

Hello all. We are very new to the idea of travel trailers. Have always admired both Avion and "the other" and casually looked around for any in our area but they are always fully restored and way too $$ OR they are across the country.

Well low and behold we have the opportunity to possibly purchase one that is around the corner from our home, BUT....

It is a complete wreck..... AND we don't know anything! We would be starting from zero. Can you even tell me what year this is from the pictures?

I am a contractor so pretty handy but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I know it is a huge project and I'm willing to put in a few years of work, but I don't want to put in more money than it will be worth in the end.

I have some pictures I can share and I can tell you when I walked into the trailer the floor is so spongey I had to step very carefully as I thought I'd fall through.

I guess I'm just looking for some advice. If I can get this for under $500....is it even worth it or should I not even try to save this poor thing?
Attachments
Trailer2.jpeg
Trailer3.jpeg
Trailer4.jpeg
Trailer5.jpeg
Trailer7.jpeg
8644CDDE-D345-41D8-8EEA-C3AE867C0D1C.jpeg
DrFred

Re: Newbie (maybe) R23 - Need Advice - pictures

Post by DrFred »

Okay, so I wouldn’t mind putting in a little more than it will be worth since we plan to keep it and use it through our retirement in about 5 years…but can anyone shed any light?

As I said, new to travel trailers and definitely new to the forum. I can see people are viewing the post, but no replies….is this a negative sign. Do ya’ll think we are nuts to even attempt this?
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

If you are in love with the trailer and don’t mind dumping $$ into it, then I’d say go for it. On the other hand, if you’re not in love with it, then for the $$ you’d end up putting into it, you could probably find something that is ready to go, or much closer to ready to go.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Also, don’t shy away from traveling a ways to buy a trailer. While Avions aren’t super popular, they do pop up for sale. Don’t be in a hurry, and take your time when looking. That said, jump on it when you find the right one.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
DrFred

Post by DrFred »

Thanks for the reply and advice. I’m in love with the shape of this model and the proximity. Wish it wasn’t painted and think I’d have to just paint over it. I can’t imagine I could get it back to bare silver.

I wouldn’t mind traveling for one in better shape, but haven’t seen anything available that would be doable for us. Any tips where best to look?

I’d also hate to see this poor thing end up in a scrap yard.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

There are a few Avion groups on Facebook that are a good place to look for Avions for sale. Craigslist is another possibility.

How long have you been looking?

That could definitely be a really nice trailer, but keep in mind it appears to need a lot of work. It sounds like the entire floor needs replaced, which basically means the entire interior needs removed. Then there’s the question of other systems—electrical and plumbing. The axles/suspension also needs checked out. None of this is undoable and certainty isn’t rocket science, but as I’m sure you know, one thing can lead to another and before long $$ increase quite a bit. Also a factor is time vs desire to have a usable trailer you can enjoy.

When it’s all said and done, how much are you wanting to spend?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Just a few examples…
04826614-4B55-4CE4-97CA-8AF591E2405C.png
9CA23EB2-D14D-4885-AEA7-0B71C752DB2C.png
2AE4F2C0-CEFB-474A-BE5C-905D0EFDAFC1.png
8987E513-4BE9-43DE-A245-259994AF0DE3.png
A832278A-260A-4BC4-80F5-F67454AFDDC3.png
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Hello, Dr. Fred! Glad to have you here on the forum!

I'm agreeing with other's comments about the trailer. It all depends on how much work you want to do to it. It can all be done! If you DO decide to take the plunge, you'll have the enjoyment of knowing every single inch of that Avion and what it took to to get it the way you want it. Sounds like LOTS of great conversations!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
DrFred

Post by DrFred »

Thank you both for the replies.
We don't have a time frame or time limit in mind and since it won't be one large amount of money being laid out all at once (just lots of it over time) I don't really have a budget in mind.

Thanks for the pictures of the trailers for sale but the more I think and talk about this, the more I am realizing that I am more excited about fixing this up than I am buying a trailer in good condition. We fell in love with this trailer when we first saw it.

Your words of encouragement have certainly helped convince me that this may be (I mean IS) possible. If I had jumped on this forum and you told me it was a lost cause and the trailer is too far gone than I wouldn't even attempt it...so Thanks!
There is so much great information on this site I think with your help we can do it!

First though....we have to get the trailer, so wish us luck in the buying process, I really need to get it for next to nothing in the shape that it is in.

Then we'll need lots or luck to get it out of the woods and into our driveway. It's only about 3 or 4 miles but I believe we'll need to get it onto a flatbed. We could just try having an excavator lift it and put new tires on it so we can tow it....but structurally I don't know if it is sound or will even stay together. It will be nerve wracking and exciting all at the same time.

I'll update this thread if and when the trailer is ours.

Hopefully more to come.....

Thanks again.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

From the serial number on the ID plate, it appears to be a 1959 23 Rover.
Model Length Sugg. List Serial # Weight
Explorer 20' $3,150 1008 up 2,300
Rover 23' $3,850 2039 up 2,700
Regal 26' $4,395 3047 up 3,300
Regal Tdm 26' $4,634 3047 up 3,500
Imperial 30' $5,285 4001 up 3,950
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???