What is this?

Freshwater System, Grey and Black Tanks, LP Gas
Markinalaska

What is this?

Post by Markinalaska »

I have a new water heater to install because the old one wasn’t in the trailer when I bought it. And I came across this black cone looking thing with what looks like a metal cone on top, it also has an on/off knob on the side.
9D1877D3-F4B5-4FE5-8904-A67B1954CA8E.jpeg
I have no idea what this thing is and if I need it at all.
I have to replace the old water lines since they are brittle and one has already busted but I need to know what this black thing is.
1981 34V
1995 F350 crew cab
silverloaf

Re: What is this?

Post by silverloaf »

Can you show a larger picture? Can you determine whether they are water or gas? If water, perhaps the the valve is cold water “in” and the other is hot “out”?
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Markinalaska

Post by Markinalaska »

Yeah sorry about the first pic. That was from the inside looking down, it was raining when I thought about asking about it and I didn’t want to melt :lol:. Anyway here’s a pic from the water heater access area.
421BD73C-82B7-4E2E-8231-7DBAEAE0B17F.jpeg
The water heater would sit in front of this. Whatever it is, it is made in China and I’m not a fan of that but it’s getting harder and harder to find anything that isn’t.
1981 34V
1995 F350 crew cab
Bobbyz

Post by Bobbyz »

No idea what that is and I'm on my second Avion. I would highly recommend pulling all that gray plumbing out and putting in PEX though. Three "off brand" campers I had prior to my first Avion had the same stuff, I'd tell you how many times a coupler just broke, but I lost count.
Yeah it's that bad!
Also like to add shut off valves at the sinks, toilet, water heater and tub. That way if you have an issue you can shut off one thing instead of the whole camper.
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Based upon your recent pic, I believe it is a gas or air purge valve. Perhaps it was used to evacuate air in the line when the main gas valve is opened/closed after factory testing, or maybe after replacing a water heater.

Could it be a 34V exclusive because of it length? Our 30P certainly doesn't have one.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Markinalaska

Post by Markinalaska »

Yeah that kind of makes sense although I thought that by opening the valves at all the sinks and tub it would remove any air in the system. I’m not a plumbing guru by any means but that explanation is the best I’ve heard. I don’t think it is going to stay when I get my new water heater installed though. If it turns out I need it I will add it back in.
1981 34V
1995 F350 crew cab
Markinalaska

Post by Markinalaska »

Bobbyz wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:58 pm No idea what that is and I'm on my second Avion. I would highly recommend pulling all that gray plumbing out and putting in PEX though. Three "off brand" campers I had prior to my first Avion had the same stuff, I'd tell you how many times a coupler just broke, but I lost count.
Yeah it's that bad!
Also like to add shut off valves at the sinks, toilet, water heater and tub. That way if you have an issue you can shut off one thing instead of the whole camper.
Yeah Bobbyz I have all new pex stuff on order. Should be here this week. Everything local was way too expensive so I went to my favorite tienda online, Ebay. Got everything I will need including the crimper for $190.00 I will end up with two ball valves left over but that’s a good thing. I was pricing just the brass t’s, angles, and ball valves here and I was well over $100.00 and I hadn’t included the pex, crimper, or the clamps. Gotta love living on the edge of the planet.
1981 34V
1995 F350 crew cab